*NO* Metroid Prime Hunters "Bounty Gunner"

Liontamer

Halloooo.

This is based on two tracks from Metroid Prime: Hunters (2006).

This arrangement is called Bounty Gunner.

My artist name is Tachy Bunker

38707-tachy-bunker

- Tachy

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 3 weeks later...

intro starts off lacking bass and that continues through the initial drum intro. snare especially is pretty loud. 0:37 brings in some melodic synth work, but it wasn't immediately apparent what that lead synth was doing relative to the originals. there's a break right away that does some minor enemy encounter noodling (which is all that track is anyways). when the rest of the band kicks up, the bass is way meatier and the various swells sound great. overall this section feels pretty loud and i think there's some pumping going on, which isn't ideal. i do love the space in the synths - the hard rhythmic elements really sound great.

there's a break at 2:58 for some arpeggiated chords and dramatic chord blocks. 3:27 brings in some synth guitar and fun bass effects around the guardian battle theme. this section is also way blown out on the mastering side - there's some solid blue lines on the indicator here. 4:45 gets even worse, it's just nothing but mush and i can't understand anything that's going on. it does this until the end, and i honestly can't tell if the ending is coming because it's so noisy right before it.

from an arrangement perspective, this works. there's some original work in here but a preponderance of the source material, and there's a lot of variety of dynamics and textures. from a mixing and mastering perspective, this needs tons of work. the entire block of content from 1:47 through 2:58 and 4:45 through the end need to be reworked entirely. one thing i noticed is that you didn't do any volume automation - when an instrument came in, it was mixed for the largest/loudest section, and there was no flexibility around that. i recommend turning everything down and then carefully bringing levels up on a per-track basis in individual sections so as to craft a more specific soundscape for each section vs. a one-size-fits-all approach.

fix the levels and this is a yes from me. right now it's not there.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/08/20 - (1N) Metroid Prime Hunters "Bounty Gunner"
  • 3 weeks later...
  • MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/08/20 - (2N) Metroid Prime Hunters "Bounty Gunner"

I'd argue the core beat from 1:48-2:58 & 3:27-3:57 was too repetitive, with the core snare shot almost always at the exact same intensity, which exposed the sample. I thought the tone of the rigidly-timed guitar synth (e.g. 3:19) was off-putting and that the flimsy orch stabs (e.g. 3:35-3:42) made the track sound cheap. The texture from 3:44-4:20 felt too simplistic because the drumming left so much empty space in the background. Then distortion city from 4:45-5:18; too noisy, too crunchy, too unpleasant to listen to, especially for the finish. I understand how it was meant to sound overdriven, but it doesn't work.

I like much of the arrangement approach. However, I'm farther away from approving this than the other Js, because I didn't feel this was a close call, even though I agree this has potential. Though I like many of the electrosynths used, some of the previously mentioned instrumentation needs further sophistication, and the mixing for the closing section in particular was a mess.

It's obviously you've put in a significant amount of time into learning arrangement, Tachy, and the level of interpretation's certainly well in the right direction. I just mentioned this for another submission; if you're not getting feedback from the #workshop channel in the community Discord or the Post Your Game ReMixes forum, please gather more feedback and advice to help refine your future work.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Metroid Prime Hunters "Bounty Gunner"