OCR04505 - *YES* Super Mario World "Koopalings"

Liontamer

Brief arrangement, but a short and sweet treatment of a relatively brief theme; could be more, but doesn't need it. Lots of flute vamping loosely inspired by the source over the bass and simplified melody of the original. The piano was blocky, which fit the style fine, but sounded way too exposed during the fadeout, which made for a weak finish at 2:13. That said, very transformative treatment with enough subtle textural variations. Good bass presense, fun percussion, and a bouncy, jazzy take! Nice work, Alexis! :-)

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/08/28 - (1Y) Super Mario World "Koopalings"

Hahaha, I was struggling to figure out what source this was at first, but once the lead flute came in, it was such an epiphany. That's actually genius, I don't know how you came up with this. Really brilliant adaptation. The backing instrumentation ranges from serviceable (the piano) to pretty darn good (the drums.) At the end of the day though, the lead flute really sells this concept.

The only reservation I have is the overblown notes at :57 and 1:45 - for lack of a better explanation, they sound like they are mixed in a completely different space and much louder than the rest of the flute recording. I feel like there might be something at play with the recording quality, almost like it's getting blown out compared to the rest of the notes, but I can't quite be sure. Maybe another judge with more instrument knowledge ( @prophetik music? ) could elaborate on what's happening, or maybe just complaining about how a flute is supposed to sound.

Either way, this is seriously radical and I'm unreserved about passing it in its current form. Good stuff mate!

YES

• Emunator changed the title to 2023/08/28 - (2Y) Super Mario World "Koopalings"

fun idea for a remix. the fade-in wasn't my favorite and the initial piano is indeed blocky (try reducing the sustain on faster passages to get a cleaner and tighter sound). flute sounds fantastic, the off-beat stuff at 0:47 is great. some nice drum fills around the 1:10 mark. the original's melody isn't particularly over-memorable but you do a nice job of picking up what makes it unique and relaying it. i certainly wasn't a huge fan of the fadeout with all the clear rhythmic content you had going on.

the overblown sections sound fine. i think at least in the later one there's some vocal content in the flute tone or at least some flutter, which is why it sounds a little weird. it's just because the sound comes out of the instrument differently when you don't focus the airstream at the tone hole the same way.

this is a neat idea, subpar start/end aside. great playing.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/08/28 - (3Y) Super Mario World "Koopalings"

I usually don't vote out of submission order, but I saw this one was about to pass and wanted to listen to it first. Wow, what a wild idea! It doesn't sound like VGM at all until the melody kicks in, and then suddenly you realize how it actually was all along. It's clever as hell and sounds great. Fade-ins and fade-outs aren't ideal, but as long as they're not done in the middle of a melodic section, it's fine by me. Brilliant stuff.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/08/28 - *YES* Super Mario World "Koopalings"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04505 - *YES* Super Mario World "Koopalings"
  • Liontamer locked this topic