Liontamer

Sean C
Sean Conner Burga
https://soundcloud.com/sean-conner-69491080
ID: 38764
Game(s): Donkey Kong Country
Song Title: Water Monkey

Songs Remixed: Aquatic Ambience

Hi, as you can probably see I'm really new to this website. I sent this song to a friend and he said maybe I could try submitting it to this website. This looks like a fun community and if nothing else I'm sure it's a great place to get feedback and connections.

I tried to touch on this song because when I sent another song to my brother he kind of figured out I was using the same notes from this song but it was from a more hard-driving synth-rock kind of song, but it made me think maybe I can see what I can do with the actual Donkey Kong Country song. I just kind of thought...how could I make this even more ambient and minimalistic sounding?
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

I love this source tune so much and I have heard it done in many different ways.  I love the ambient idea for this mix.  The primary lead sound is luscious, but it doesn't sound good when it is used to play the lower notes.  That patch is absolutely howling at 300Hz; it was very loud after 1:10.  Find another timbre to play the lower octave, along with your other synth playing the higher one.  I suggest adding a proper bassline.  The drums are way too simplistic and not mixed well.  The arrangement and instrumentation are too simplistic overall.

However, this is a creative start and a good concept!  Everyone starts somewhere.  Welcome to OCR.  I suggest taking this to our wip forum for further mixing and arrangement help.

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2023/09/06 - (1N) Donkey Kong Country "Water Monkey"

seems like we've seen a lot of AA tracks lately.

initial synth sound and natural fade is a neat idea. the kick sounds pretty bad, but the idea is also interesting. this repeats for over a minute - you may want to consider adding in more content in here, rather than have it repeat so often. 

the melodic material comes in at about 1:09. there's some replaced tones in the melody as you've arranged it, and i'm not sure those replaced tones are necessarily better (1:17 comes to mind). i'd strongly recommend sticking with the original's notes until you understand better how to manipulate chords underneath the melody to fit different ideas.

there's not much here besides the lead synth, some drum elements, and a whistle. like kris said, a bassline would help a lot, as would other contextual elements like pads, more specific drum sequences, etc.

the workshop forum and the workshop channel on discord would help a lot with this.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/09/06 - (2N) Donkey Kong Country "Water Monkey"

Interesting synths to open up. The production feels very simplistic, but it could certainly go places. By about :30, I wasn't optimistic it was going anywhere. OK, some more percussion is added at :40 and the track's almost a third over without having gone beyond the introductory melody yet.

Melody comes in at 1:09, and this approach feels so barren despite everything going on; unfortunately, there's no movement here, nor does the track feel melodious; prophetik had good advice on sticking with the source's melody as is, not altering it, until you figure out how to build synnergy with the underlying chords.

Then at 1:49, things are repeating, albeit with a new sustained supporting/padding line underneath it. Minor differences between interations aside, this was relatively unvaried and underdeveloped. A good work-in-progress, Sean, it's just not yet a fleshed out and sufficiently developed arrangement; definitely see what more you can do with it.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Donkey Kong Country "Water Monkey"