*NO* Tetris (GB) "Crazy Tetrominos" *RESUB*

Liontamer

Original Decision

Hello everyone,
Hello Larry,
I would like to send back my tetris remix which was refused on February 20.
I reworked the song, the dynamics, the compression and its duration.
Thanks for the second chance.

Link to my resubmission : 

Re Mixer : Onirik Dreamer
email : 
Link of vidéoclip : 
user id : 38210

Name of game arranged : Tetris (Gameboy)
Name of original track : theme A (Alexei pajitnov/arranger Hirokazu Tanaka)
Name of my track : Crazy Tetrominos
Additional information about game : 1989
Link to the original soundtrack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whBg7IF5JUg
Your own comments about the mix : I wanted to make a more energetic and electronic version of this legendary theme while keeping the general atmosphere of the original track.

This is mastered very quietly, with 6.66 dB of headroom for some reason. Easy enough fix but an odd decision. I have to turn my volume to almost maximum to hear it clearly. Better than clipping, I suppose.

Otherwise, this is definitely an improvement. It's been lengthened, and the new material isn't just padding. However, the instrumentation doesn't change much throughout, other than the faux-instrumental intro and bridge, and 2:24-2:38. And then the last section is just the same thing, speeding up, with "hey" effects.

For me, the overall presentation still falls short. The sound palette is basic and static, and there's still not enough dynamic interest to hold my attention. Still, strong work improving on the initial submission!

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/09/21 - (1N) Tetris (GB) "Crazy Tetrominos" *RESUB*

my original review commented on the extremely hot mastering and overall short amount of development.

this is still heavily compressed, it just has the limiter's max turned down. the intro has a ton of crushing going on in the orchestral instruments. the section with the actual melodic material sounds better - the bass is a bit loud, but the overall balance is better and it is still a fun vibe. the section at 1:23 is better, but the sidechain-adjacent pads are late and sound on the beat rather than off which is kind of a funny mistake.

2:08's build is nice and exciting, and the actual hit at 2:24 is again a solid groove. 2:41's tempo change and key change is a good idea to mix it up a bit, and the continuing accelerando into the end is high-energy and forward-focused. the ending feels a little janky due to the way that deceleration affects groove, but i get what you're going for.

i agree with MW that overall there's just one section of melodic material repeated, with slight overlays in each one. there needs to be more development of the arrangement beyond just changing the overall key and adding sfx on top. this is indeed a lot better however than the first entry.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/09/21 - (2N) Tetris (GB) "Crazy Tetrominos" *RESUB*

I never heard the first version, so I'm hearing this fresh for the first time.

Some sort of audio artifact going on right at the start, I guess some SFX that was taken from your YouTube video version. Very odd mixing here, where the brass and strings were way softer and more distant than the electro synths, but the soundscape thankfully clears up after the transition at :30. The beats and countermelodic synths at :38 were a pretty basic sound. 1:08-1:23's chorus section was more interesting, but again had strange mixing. Seemed like the panning was focused on the right ear for no real reason as well. I did like the bouncing chippy line in that segment though, that was a nice touch.

1:23 went back to the same verse idea, then 1:53's chorus section had some different textures, then a transition into more orchestration until 2:23. The thumping beats at 2:24 were still too basic and plodding. I liked the garbled robotic vocals at 2:23; it wasn't important what they were saying. The "Hey, hey, hey, hey!" used from 2:40-3:03 & 3:15-3:25 could be cool, but it's the same exact shout at the same intensity looped over and over again; I'd recommend using different types of effects on the "Hey" shouts to give them an evolving sound that doesn't sound so repetitive. The gradual tempo acceleration was a nice touch though, followed by the deceleration.

The boom-tss-boom-tss cadence of most of the beat writing got too plodding after a while; keep thinking of ways to naturally and fluidly vary up the beat patterns without feeling the need to make it too busy.

Keep developing this, and don't submit it again until after you get feedback from either the Post Your Game ReMixes forum or the #workshop channel in the OCR Discord server. This is a strong foundation, Karim; I would hope that you're not as discouraged by another rejection as much as enthused by the positive comments from all of us on how this is a meaningful improvement from the prior version.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Tetris (GB) "Crazy Tetrominos" *RESUB*