Liontamer

Contact Information

Submission Information

• Link to MP3: 
  • Link to song on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRZeQdUxpuQ
  • Name of game(s) arranged: Rayman
  • Name of arrangement: Harmony in the Skies
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Band Land - High Notes
  • Additional information about game including composer, system, etc.: Playstation version of Rayman, as the PC version doesn't have music. Released in 1995. Original composer is Rémi Gazel.
  • Link to the original soundtrack: Not sure if it was ever officially released, but here's a rip on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jkknMRk3LU
  • Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, how the source material was referenced in the arrangement, etc:
I originally started this project in 2011, worked on it sporadically for a few months, and completely forgot about it until about two weeks ago. I decided to go back and give it the love it deserved, finished it up, and released it. It's not the first song I've ever made (I have a couple others on YouTube that aren't really finished) but it's definitely the first one I'd consider complete and that I'm completely happy with. Surprised to see that Rayman doesn't even have a page on OCR, so it looks like this is the first remix for it, which is surprising as that game has such catchy music.
Listening back to my arrangement, I think it's pretty clear that I've been heavily influenced by Animusic. The lead synth reminds me a lot of those laser synth instruments in those videos, especially with the vibrato. I kept maybe half of the original melodies/motifs from the original and accented them with original arrangements to fill in the gaps. I'd like to think it's a good balance between being recognizable while also being a fairly novel arrangement. One of my favorite tropes in music is when two or more instruments play off of each other, repeat each other's melodies, or otherwise sync up (like the repeated C#-B-A chord played by the backing organ, piano, and lead synth around 2:25), so I tried to do that as much as I could.
Lastly, I don't think I'm a particularly talented musician, I think I'm just stubborn enough to spend long enough on one song to make it sound good enough that others might enjoy it :) Hopefully these comments aren't too long!

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

remix appears to be based on the first minute or so of the video linked in the first post.

starts with sustained string machine, and the brings in a saw lead that for some reason sets my teeth a bit on edge a bit. beat comes in at 0:35. there's some more original bits, and the lead comes back before an organ section that jams through the chords. there's some more rhythmic elements in the lead at 1:45 - i can hear the animusic comparison in here with some of the interplay elements you mentioned. this builds up through 2:20, and then we have a ritard going into a final chord. doesn't overstay its welcome which is nice.

the lead instrument gets used quite a bit in this track. my own reaction to it aside, i think it's probably too much for such a bland lead. there's only a few places where, for example, the lead even cuts out at all - usually it's just playing constantly from when it comes in until it shuts off for a while. that lends itself to a track that is overall shaped the same, and that lack of dynamic contrast throughout is not a positive. similarly, the track appears to be lacking overall compression, which is why it feels so quiet throughout.

i would love to hear more attention paid to the lead instrument's synthesis - that is, maybe mixing it up during the track, or allowing some more breaks in what it's saying - as well as fleshing out the mastering more. some more EQ work and adding compression to the track so the snare doesn't pop out of the waveform like a cactus spine would significantly improve the listening experience. the arrangement i think is pretty much great - 2:00 through 2:30 are by far the best part of the track, and there's so many little flourishes and fun elements that are going on in there. leaning into that throughout the track would really result in a superb final product.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/10/09 - (1N) Rayman "Harmony in the Skies"

The sequencing's too rigid, and the drum writing's too basic, tepid, and plodding despite the intended variations, so that prevents this otherwise personalized arrangement approach from lifting off the ground.

The synth's lead first used at :10 is alright, but IMO it's too thin as is to serve as the lead, especially if the surrounding instrumentation doesn't adequately fill up the soundfield. The sampled piano first used at :41 sounds too blocky. 1:06's texture during the organ section was too thin and empty; something else should have been going on earlier than around 1:18 to fill things out, and you still could have switched to that backing line at 1:18.

Eino Keskitalo's got a lot of strong examples, Tony, of arrangements with deliberate pacing that nonetheless has energy and flow rather than feeling stilted.

Fleshing out the textures more and humanizing and/or adding verve to the sequencing are what this needed the most.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/10/09 - (2N) Rayman "Harmony in the Skies"

The intro strings/pad sound lush.  That lead synth is really nice, but it is bone dry and lacks any kind of filter movement or other effects that would give it needed interest, and it feels like it is right up front and in my face.  The backing synth stack also feels very dry and could use filter movement, and reverb would push it to the back where it needs to be.  The piano is super rigid and un-humanized as well as dry.  Because every element is dry, it all is competing in the soundscape and everything sounds like it is trying to be up front, when only the lead should really be that up front.

The drum writing is super simple and repetitive, and the drums are mixed without any reverb, without any impact, and without any effort to put them in their proper places in the soundscape.  Also, there needs to be some sidechaining done so that the drums can be audible over the soundscape, and also to give the arrangement some generalized groove; at present it is totally lacking in that regard.  Easy fix with some gentle sidechaining on several elements (bass and pads at a minimum, and possibly every element in varying, gentle amounts).

Mastering is on the tame side; much more could be done to add a touch of sparkle and depth while bringing the overall volume up somewhat (not too much!).

I actually think this arrangement is really nice!  There are terrific writing and instrument variations and the elements work well together.  But it needs a mixing overhaul, strategically adding reverb and effects to put the elements where they should sit in the soundscape and to add interest.  Drum writing could have some variation easily by adding a shaker or percussion loop at different sections, to vary the energy up and down as the arrangement moves along.   Piano needs humanization, as well.  I hear a lot of promise in this arrangement, and I hope to hear it again with the improvements made.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Rayman "Harmony in the Skies"