*NO* Mega Man X "Roll Up"

Liontamer

I dig it, I just need some more substance/development. We did approve an 78-second track not too long ago, but it packed more in its shorter time due to the fast tempo, whereas this has a slower feel. This one's well in the right direction regardless, as the theme is well personalized. Nice to hear the bass register; it's such a basic texture (in a good way) and so nicely mixed that you can appreciate the part-writing and enjoy every individual instrument. Despite some occasional dropoffs, the core beat does plod for me after a while. There are so many ways to get 30-60 more seconds out of this and explore the source theme more or employ other forms of dynamic/textural contrast. Provided you were open to it, see what more you can do with this, Alexis; this is a great base. Maybe others will get behind it; if not, it wouldn't take much more to nudge it over the line.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/10/10 - (1N) Mega Man X "Roll Up"

very fitting stylistic adaptation here, as the emphasis on the diminished fifth really fits the pentatonic scale that a lot of jazz is built around. the beat and bass sound cribbed straight out of various other songs in the style so that's on point. i liked the string machine slide at 0:46, and overall your leads between the ep and guitar sound solid (the guitar lead is a bit stilted but only a little bit).

i agree that this is too short as it is. i'm pretty firm about the two-minute unwritten rule usually unless something really blows me away, and the slower tempo here makes that difficult to eclipse. there are a few times it sounds like you explore alternate chords under the melodic material - i'd recommend doing that some more as a method for adding some time on the clock here. similarly, even slightly varying the backing guitar chords could make a real difference in the vibe of a particular section and allow for some more exploration.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/10/10 - (2N) Mega Man X "Roll Up"
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't think it's necessarily too short, but the 2-minute guideline is there for a reason: it's very difficult to both respect the additional material and transform it in that short a time. In this case, we have a genre transformation, but it's basically just a slowed-down instrument swap. There's 20 seconds of interpretive material at the end, and that's it. We need more.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/10/10 - *NO* Mega Man X "Roll Up"
  • Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Mega Man X "Roll Up"