OCR04659 - *YES* Metroid Prime: Federation Force & Metroid "Twilight Zone"

Liontamer

(WAV version updated 11/4/2023, track did not change)

ReMixer Name: ZackParrish
Email Address: 
User ID: 29013

Other ReMixers:
Sebastian Mårtensson

Other contributors:
Alex Parrish — Voice of Samus
Sebastian Mårtensson — Announcer
Sebastian Mårtensson and Tove Petersson — Crowd and chants

Name of game arranged: Metroid Prime: Federation Force
Name of arrangement: Twilight Zone
Name of song arranged: Blast Ball Menu

Comments...
... from Sebastian: “This, and The Plot Thickens, was the first times Zack Parrish and I collaborated on tracks. Zack and I had the idea to surprise Darren with a track he would’ve never asked for. It would open with something classic Metroid and then just turn into something quite different. Zack made the groundwork on this one and I added guitars. The middle segment was left quite open for me to improvise and create something while the beginning and end had really clear visions from Zack. It wasn’t until we basically had the entire track that we thought about adding the commentator, audience and Samus. I’m so happy that we did, though. Alex Parrish did a great job at voicing Samus and I had a lot of fun being the commentator.”

... from Zack: I don't have much to add since Sebastian summed it up pretty well. Track started out as a joke with no intent of it being on the album... but then we just kept at it and churned out a full experience. Always an honor to collaborate with Sebastian. Super talented musician and the nicest person on the planet. 

Other info, lyrics, or something: 
-Script-
Intro:
Samus: "What?"
Commentator: "Welcome to tonight's game between these two rival teams. The visitors are Zebes Space Pirates, and, man, have they been on a roll lately? They're coming into tonight's game with a three game win streak! However, if there's any team performing better right now it's tonight's opponent. The league leading Tallon IV Shinesparkers are the hosts tonight in their loud and passionate arena. Buckle up everyone, 'cause this is gonna be a ride to remember.

Outro:
Audience: "Let's Go Samus" (repeat)
Samus: "I'd rather eat Phazon..."

Very catchy source; thanks for introducing me to it! I think the opening announcer VO's mixed too quietly, but it's not a big deal.

Guitars feel dry until the shift at 1:08. I also felt the drums and bassline were too loud compared to the melody; nothing dinging this though, just more a personal taste thing, as the melody's still prominent and the approach provides contrast with the source melody aggressively taking charge at 2:17.

The strings at 1:35 were pretty good; I felt the bow movements got exposed as unnatural very briefly at 1:50, but I could be wrong, and it's pretty negligible anyway.

Cool concept and strong arrangement, Zack & Sebastian! :-) 

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/10/24 - (1Y) Metroid Prime: Federation Force "Twilight Zone"

cute idea.

the opening is mostly sfx with some of the intro chords underneath, and it doesn't really coalesce until about 0:41. i agree with larry that the guitars initially felt pretty dry and not really in the same space as the drums, and the bass and lead synth felt somewhere else from those two as well. i think the volumization of these parts is at least partly responsible for that as the drums are really loud compared to everything else.

there's a break at 1:36 that leans on the tritone a lot (i remember other tracks in this soundtrack having a heavy emphasis on the tritone too). this noodles a bit until it really doubles down on 2:17 and everything's back in. there's some choir added in as well which made me realize that the lack of pad elements in the earlier sections is part of why they felt kind of thin.

the last 25 seconds or so are mostly sfx again, and it's done.

this is well-realized and a strong initial concept. i think some of the mixing could be handled differently so it wasn't so drum-heavy, and some pad work would flesh out the soundscape in a few places, but overall this is a solid job.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/10/24 - (2Y) Metroid Prime: Federation Force "Twilight Zone"

This is quite short: The music doesn't really start until 0:41 and basically ends at 3:12, so there's only 2:31 of actual music.

However, what's there is solid. Good exploration of the theme, and the production sounds fine to me.  I'm not feeling a lack of pads or a dominance of drums, although the bass and kick make a pretty heavy combination, and yeah, the announcer could be a little easier to understand. Highly competent guitar work.

I'd prefer a little more development, but there's enough, and it's all good.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/10/24 - (3Y) Metroid Prime: Federation Force "Twilight Zone"

This is a fun little concept, I don't have much to add to the other votes other than a quick co-sign, but I did feel like I got something different than what I expected in terms of energy levels. It doesn't really ramp to full steam around 2:20, which is closer to what I thought the track was going to jump into right away after the intro, but what you've got here works too :) Voice acting and guitar performances were really tight, well done. Let's wrap this up!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04659 - *YES* Metroid Prime: Federation Force & Metroid "Twilight Zone"
  • Emunator locked this topic