Your email address:  
    Your website(s):   www.bryanel.com
    Your userid:  34748

Submission Information:
    Link to remix: 
    Name of game arranged:  Jurassic Park
    Name of arrangement:  Apex Predator
    Name of song arranged:  Level 1
    Original composer:  Jonathan Dunn   (Game Boy / NES)
    Link to the original soundtrack:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywRGNGRmRws
    Comments:  Thought this one deserved a little remix after 30 years since release.  Just needed a little extra punch...

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

this waveform looks like it belongs in a pot of beer in the parking lot of Lambeau Field before a Packers game.

initial synths are vanilla but immediately recognizable as quoting the theme of the original. the melody comes in at 0:26 with a particularly percussive synth, and there's a ton of verb going on through this. there's a shift at 0:44 to the B theme, and the melodic content comes in soon after. this also is drenched in verb - the backing synths are pretty loud throughout.

once this B theme is done, it's been about 1:45 and there's not really much beyond adapting it to the style - little that i can hear that's new. the track goes through the A theme again in a row and then the B theme again in a row - i don't hear anything new, so this is essentially just repeating the first 1:45 or so. at 3:20 it starts the A theme again and i still don't hear anything different. so it sounds like this is just repeating the same content over and over again with no changes to the underlying work. there's a fadeout and it's done.

this has way too much repetition to pass as-is. less than half the song is the first iteration of the (imo not arranged enough) loop. separately, the synths are fairly vanilla throughout, and there's no lfo on the leads or anything to keep it interesting. additionally, the drums are pretty vanilla in what they're playing too. lastly, i found the mastering to be way blown out - it's super noisy and the reverb tails are really loud, so it's tons of stuff in your face with no room to breathe. there's definitely some points where it's clipping as well.

i think this needs some time in the cooker. you've got a few neat ideas but this needs significant expansion of the arrangement, more creativity on the synthesis side, and better mixing and mastering.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/11/11 - (1N) Jurassic Park (GB) "Apex Predator"

That waveform isn't even sausage links. It's a kielbasa. Just one long sausage.

proph has this right on every front. There's not enough interpretive arrangement for what we look for; it's mostly just an instrument swap, with a little bit of complexity added to the percussion. Three loops of the same thing and a fade-out. And the overall sound is washed out and steeped in way too much reverb.

I'm afraid this just isn't what we look for in the personalization, instrumentation, or production aspects.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/11/11 - (2N) Jurassic Park (GB) "Apex Predator"

Opens up sounding super basic/vanilla with these synths, but there's at least some good power. Melody comes in at :17, and this soundscape's flooded. Way too loud and mixed in a muddy way. The arrangement's not bad, but about a minute in we get to the Comic Bakery portion, and this was feeling like too much of a paint-by-number adaptation. It's got power behind it, but I'm wanting to hear more personality. At 2:11, we get to the Comic Bakery portion again, and it's just the same stuff being repeated with some very minor textural differences in the background.

Right now, Bryan, it's just 3 playthroughs of a good-sounding sound upgrade, but after 1:45, you've effectively heard all of the track's ideas and all that's happening from then on is repetition. Any further attention given to varying up the instrumentation, melodies, rhythms, tempo, dynamics, etc. would help push this closer toward a YES. You've done it before with your DKC arrangement, so see what other arrangement techniques you can present here to more meaningfully develop this.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Jurassic Park (GB) "Apex Predator"