• Your real name: Jesse
  • Your email address: 
  • Your website(s): https://bashexplode.com
  • Your userid: 35060

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Name of arrangement: Great Fairy's Tribulation
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged:  Great Fairy's Fountain
Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, how the source material was referenced in the arrangement, etc.
  • I started this remix out as a beat battle for a Twitch stream and produced up to the first drop in 2 hours. I thought it came out pretty awesome, so I decided to finish it. I've always loved The Legend of Zelda series and ALWAYS wanted to create a remix of a track from Ocarina of Time, so everything at that point fell into place. I did all of my own sound design for synth patches and composed via MIDI, then arranged it in a hybrid mix of genres combining Future UKG and Dubstep/Riddim, which I tend to do in a lot of my tracks. I chose this route because I wanted to do something a little more high energy than the original and what others have done in the past. I also fully mixed and mastered the track! I hope some of the Navi/Ganondorf/Link sample usage is okay, I checked the standards and it seemed like it met the criteria.
Hope you enjoy!!
Cheers,
bash explode

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/12/03 - (1Y) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Great Fairy's Tribulation"

upbeat start with some fun sound design thrown in there. 0:19's build into 0:33 is great, and the hit at 0:33 is ridiculously over the top as expected. there's a ton of variation after this in various sections which i appreciate. 1:15 is repeating an earlier section, but quickly moves to some new stuff, including switching to three for a bit and then making me jump a bit with the laugh sfx. by 1:59 it's mostly done and it's just NAVIgating an outro.

short and fun, love it. this is an easy one.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/12/03 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Great Fairy's Tribulation"
  • 2 weeks later...

This feels like the musical equivalent of not being able to decide what to order at the bar, so you just order a flight of all the seasonal drinks that are currently on tap. That approach doesn't always pan out, but in this case, when every drink on the menu is a banger, you really can't go wrong :) Yeah, trendy EDM subgenres blended with copious sound effects is a tale as old as time, but in all honesty, you really have a great handle on the production and mixing side of things and there's a load of creativity in the underlying songwriting, so the end result achieves far more than the standard "slap some sound effects and loops over a generic EDM track" approach. As a fan of bass music myself, I really dig what you put together - the off-kilter rhythm at 1:02 was a standout highlight for me, but there's no weak link here.

\m/

YES

Well, there's one answer on how to address a small source - theme and variations.  And with your EDM approach, that means a whole kitchen sink of themes and variations.  It sounded like it went from two-step to dubstep to breakbeat to French house to hardstyle to a wall of noise in two minutes, so I understand Wes's "order every seasonal drink at the bar" analogy.  Very rarely would a break between sections be used more than once - aside from the frequent use of Navi voice clips - and combined with the eccentric barrage of music ideas, we've got something that was short, sweet, and probably a bunch of other flavors in there while we're at it, and doesn't outstay its welcome.

The sound design also has a lot to love.  With the territory comes rich synth textures, various genre-ready tones, and some befitting EDM tropes.  We're talking dreamy sustains in the first 20 seconds, snappy 808 hats during the lighter two-step sections, multi-layered dubstep basses, glitched gates before the end of the first minutes, juicy sidechains not long after, enveloped basses going in after 1:30, the absolute noise that is the big final bass at 1:43 and a room reverb finish.  I don't sense anything overlapping with each other frequency-wise, but I would've liked a clean fade-out rather than the sudden cut at the end.  It's no dealbreaker if the project file gets lost, but it would be nice to remedy it before being ready for primetime.

You saw my words right there.  This track surprised me, as should the other OCR regulars when they hear it.  Nice work!

YES

• Rexy changed the title to 2023/12/03 - *YES - TAG* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Great Fairy's Tribulation"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04621 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Great Fairy's Tribulation"
  • Liontamer locked this topic