*NO* Chrono Cross "A Road Twice Traveled"

Liontamer

Nice tone with the dual geetars; conservative but inherently transformative via the much more additive writing of the accompaniment. We'll see if it opens up creatively in any other ways. At 1:31, I was waiting for something else to happen with the arrangement to further break it out compared to :08 and wasn't hearing it. Anything with further melodic variation and/or performance dynamics would have made this stronger, IMO. It took until the 3-minute mark for me to hear ideas that ventured into something new with the presentation. Cutting out an iteration of the verse would be a good thing if there's not going to be any tangible differences. It'll sound like I can't get on board with a deliberate tempo, or need some very wild dynamic shifts, or think Justin's performance was below par; IMO, the concept and arrangement approach is valid, but the lack of dynamics over time didn't justify the length and made things drag. :'-( We'll see if it comes off as just being my personal taste rather than the consensus. If this doesn't make it as is, would you be against another take?

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/12/07 - (1N) Chrono Cross "A Road Twice Traveled"

imo one of the strongest melodies on a melodically-driven soundtrack.

opening section is very close to note for note to the original outside the natural adaptation to guitars. i'll note i didn't find the hammer-ons in the accompaniment guitar to sound like anything other than mistakes most of the time. at 1:32, we've gotten through the verse and chorus once, and it starts the verse again with essentially nothing changed outside of one or two notes being slightly different in approach. by the time the chorus comes around, we're beyond 50% of the track and it's still essentially a realization of what the original has going for it.

we do finally get some updates at 2:44 with a new tag transition coming out of the chorus, which i love - the diminished stack going into the motivic movement was clever. the original writing that follows is great to listen to and enjoyable but has no correlation to the original that i heard.

4:16 is a bit of the original and resolves...then starts another last play-through of the end of the chorus for a second ending.

this is well-performed and technically proficient. the guitar sounds pretty good although more warmth in the tone would have been nice. what sinks it is arrangement - you've got ~60% cover and 40% original (roughly in that order) with not a ton of correlative material between. we need more interpretive arrangement, and if you're going to feature original material, that original material should be better tied into the game content.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/12/07 - (2N) Chrono Cross "A Road Twice Traveled"

This is a lovely cover, but yeah it is a cover until the three-minute mark as others have pointed out.  After 3:00 it is entirely original, making this an awkward arrangement for a remix.  The little bit after the fakeout ending is really not needed, imo.

The guitar playing is beautiful although I agree with Brad about the tone, it is a tad sharp.  I also agree that the hammer-ons sound like errors.

I really like what's here, but the arrangement is too conservative for OCR.

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2023/12/07 - (3N) Chrono Cross "A Road Twice Traveled"
  • Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Chrono Cross "A Road Twice Traveled"