Liontamer

• Your ReMixer name: ThePlasmas
  • Your real name: Mauricio Castro
  • Your email address: 
  • Your website(s):  https://linktr.ee/theplasmasvgm
  • Your userid: 30081
  • Name of game(s) arranged: DooM 64
  • Name of arrangement: Condenado A Las Penas del Infierno
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Main Theme (Intro Theme)
  • Additional information about the game: Composer: Aubrey Hodges, N64.
  • Link to the original soundtrack: 
    https://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/doom-64-official-soundtrack
  • Your own comments about the mix: Doom turned 30 years old, so this is a tribute to one of my all time favorite video games. I enjoyed it a lot on my N64, and this song always made me feel goosebumps as a child. This version was recorded to participate in the "Summer of 64" event produced by GameGrooves, available here: https://theplasmasvgm.bandcamp.com/album/64-ways-to-die

all doom remixes should be metal, don't @ me.

opens aggressively, primarily focusing on the rhythmic riff at the beginning of the melodic section in the original as opposed to the arpeggio. that arp first comes in at 0:54, and it's adapted a bit to go over the top of the chord progression which is a fun idea. the leads have a bit less room tone on them than i'd expect, but they're clear and i like the combination of the lower lead and the arp at 1:35. 

there is a blastbeat section at 2:10 which is a tonal break from the first two minutes (which kind of do the same thing), and then we're into another arpeggio-driven section that's got real post-rock vibes with an extended range to the arpeggio lick. around the 3:15 mark i started to feel it was getting a little repetitive, and that's around when the outro was prepped and started, so timing-wise that's great.

overall the band sound is solid. i wouldn't have minded a little more brightness in the bass tone, but i like the way the rest sounds so i'm willing to overlook that. as a band, it doesn't sound muddy or congested in the low mids.

this is a fun track. nice job.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/12/12 - (1Y) Doom 64 "Condenado a Las Penas del Infierno"

Despite the strong energy of the performance, the mixing sounds pretty rough and lossy, so much so that I needed to throw on a control track to ensure my setup wasn't messed up. What happened to the highs? From :36-:54, you can very faintly hear a pad-like line doubling the guitar, but if you're not listening on headphones, you won't hear it, and it was mixed in a way where it might as well not be there.

The overall performance still has a strong presense, with the drums in particular do a nice job filling things out. The arrangement has nice dynamics in spite of seeming like just a big shot of metal intensity. I'm not going to go conditional YES because if the source files were gone, I'd want this on the site, but we should certainly ask Mauricio about it.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/12/12 - (2Y) Doom 64 "Condenado a Las Penas del Infierno"
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, the garage-y tone is definitely a turn-off, notably because the synth is so quiet you can barely hear it, even on headphones. I think it's actually playing nearly the entire time, but is frequently inaudible. Otherwise it's a nice fun arrangement. I agree with Larry: ask Mauricio if he can clean it up a little, just so we can appreciate everything he put into it, but if not, it's still a

YES

• DarkeSword changed the title to 2023/12/12 - Doom 64 "Condenado a Las Penas del Infierno"
  • Liontamer pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

It's The Plasmas covering Doom, I'm pretty sure I know what this is going to sound like without even reading the submission letter or clicking on it.

... yup. That's what I expected. And it rocks. The lead guitar work especially carries this through, but all the elements of the band ensemble are carrying their weight. I'm actually not sure where the complaints about the guitar tone or mixing is coming from, maybe there's a subjective preference at play here because I love it. Sounds rich but simultaneously gritty, the drums are lively and pack a punch, and the bass is audible. Nothing more to say, you're consistently churning out great work.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04652 - *YES* Doom 64 "Condenado a Las Penas del Infierno"
  • Emunator locked and unpinned this topic