*NO* Dragon Warrior 4 "Twisted Systerz" *RESUB*

Liontamer

3rd RESUB
2nd RESUB
1st RESUB
Original Decision

This is another attempt at this tune. I have learned some more production techniques, and I hope I have applied them better than in previous versions. I also took the advice Hemophiliac and timaeus222 left on the Post your Remixes section on the forums. This was all done on FL Studio 21, mostly with stock plugins or free ones. I think using TDR Nova really helped, along with learning to use Patcher in FL Studio to combine things in interesting ways.

I have always liked this tune, and I do like the original 8 bit version more than the remakes.

As always, thanks ahead of time for feedback:)

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

i last voted on the first resub of this (out of three! we never see this level of commitment!). my NO vote was primarily based on the significant mastering shortfalls. it's changed a bit since then so i'll approach this fresh.

choir into a pretty big band sound to start it off. it's real loud right off the bat and doesn't have a lot of treble in there. there's a fun 404 bass going on that i like, but that high resonant lead tone is really offputting. there's a break at 0:33, but it's hard to grok what the bell lead is playing because it's so loud that it's getting squelched pretty hard.

it goes back to the intro instrumentation before another break at 0:57 for the B content. the A content picks back up with a new lead and some tempo-synced pads behind it. there's a lot of personalization here, but the verby string-adjacent lead sounds odd since it doesn't sound like it should be louder than everything else going on - the timbre feels weird.

there's a dropoff at about 2:10, and a ritard at the end to finish it off.

this feels loud throughout. everything feels crushed as a result there's still a notable peak at 70hz and a ton of consistent content through 350hz, which means you've got a lot of stuff in the same shelf competing for the same space. this is probably why it feels so loud and dense. i also didn't notice any panning - even a little bit can really open up the sound stage to make things more differentiated. beyond that, i like that you're changing leads up to keep it interesting, but some of the leads you're using are not particularly suited to the style you're going for here. i find presets nice to find a general idea of what i'm looking for, but getting into the preset and customizing it from there is where the magic happens and i'd encourage you to try that more.

i think your arrangement is fine. the realization and subsequent mixing/mastering of it is where it's being held back right now.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2024/01/04 - (1N) Dragon Warrior 4 "Twisted Systerz"

I have to admire your persistence!

Unfortunately, proph is right on all counts. It's not loud in an absolute sense, but it is overcompressed, bitcrushed, and pumping. The parts are stepping all over each other, crammed into the mids without much if any EQ work going on. There's no consideration for how much louder simple waveforms sound than complex ones, so the perceived volume is inconsistent.

I will say that the arrangement is an improvement over earlier versions. The original writing from 1:24-1:43 is still kind of rambling and strange, but it's better than previous efforts and ties in better to the source material and the rest of the remix. Unfortunately, I still need to give this yet another

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2024/01/04 - (2N) Dragon Warrior 4 "Twisted Systerz"

Very muddy soundscape, whoa. Cooler lead at :16. The warbling synth at :01's probably too busy, but maybe it's just me.

The percussion has no solidness to it. The kick just sounds like a thud, and this probably needs a snare with some snap to help give this more depth.

The lead writing from 1:24-1:45 was scattershot with loose timing. The part at 1:59 & 2:06 was so loud, then the saw at 2:10.

Still odd sounds and no synergy to them, plus the mixing is cluttered and jacked. (Because I'm not a musician) I'm not sure how you go about figuring out what works beyond continuing to experiment, and going through trial and error.

The theme choice remains strong, and moving from DAW to DAW will introduce its own set of hurdles, but you're setting yourself up for future success by being in the arena. I agree with MindWanderer, keep being persistant.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Dragon Warrior 4 "Twisted Systerz" *RESUB*