*NO* Sonic Frontiers, Sonic the Hedgehog (XB360 & GEN) "I'm Always With You"

Liontamer

Artist: DaveWithAKeyboard

I wanted to create an explosive, epic arrangement of the song, slowly building up throughout the track, until all the instruments are included by the end.  I was inspired by the final boss tracks from the Sonic series from Sonic 06 onward, with their epic remixes of the game's main theme.

Games & Sources

This is an epic rock-orchestral remix of "I'm With You", the final boss from Sonic Frontiers, composed by Tomboy Ohtani.  I also included bits of "I'm Here" from Sonic Frontiers, "His World" from Sonic 06, and "Green Hill Zone" from Sonic 1 in the middle section during the guitar riff.

Here is the YouTube source link: 

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

starts out with some very ambient hits at range, and slowly starts to build the descending motif from the original. there's a lot of orchestral elements being used, which is nice. i'll note that there's a lot of sustained chords and that's not great orchestral arranging. it's not common that the entire brass section will play block chords. more movement in here would be a goal.

there's a big hit at 1:16 with some guitars and orchestral taikos, and now some choir. there's a lot of audible clipping in here. this is where all those block chords become a problem - they're just clogging up the mid range so you can't put other stuff in here. there's also what sounds like mostly copy/paste for each section with one more thing added on top each time. for example the same choir scoring and presentation is used over and over - this is noticeable and becomes irritating pretty early on.

at the 3:00 mark there's some slick soloing going but i can't hear anything. everything needs to be turned down by, like, half, and then use a compression and limiting chain to dress it up rather than relying on raw volume to make stuff sound powerful.

by about 3:45 i can no longer hear any backing elements. it's just the bass, the taikos, and the lead solo instruments. everything else is just a mash. 

i can 100% get the idea of having lots of neat ideas and wanting to layer them on top of one another. i tend to be a very additive composer myself. however, after a certain point, there's just too much going on and it all loses impact as a result. that's what you've got going on most of this. if you removed half - literally half - of the compositional elements you've got going on here, i think you'd have a far more impactful (and easier to mix/master) track.

i think there's a ton of great stuff here. it's just inaudible and everything's stepping on everything else's toes. trim it way back, reduce the volume a ton, remove all the sustained layering, and see what you get on the other side as a result.

if you don't believe me about the clipping, this is by far the most clipping instances i've ever seen in a submission in the panel:

image.thumb.png.bc9341a0af43410ba591bbadb4d6691c.png

NO

• 1 month later...

I have to agree. This is an absolute wall of sound, and not in a good "fills up the soundscape" way. By the halfway point, there's just so much going on that nothing can breathe. There are so many parts that you can just barely hear peeking out every once in a while. It's so busy that I didn't even hear the Green Hill section until my second listen, because most of the accompanying parts are kind of static: the arp, the choir, the drums, and several instruments that function as a pad are on a near-loop for minutes at a time.

It also sounds like it was reverse-balanced: the beginning, when there are few parts, is quiet and sounds crushed even though nothing is crushing it, and there's a thin layer of white noise.

So, same take-home message as proph: Lots of good idea, but you can't hear like 80% of it. If you don't cut parts entirely, let them take turns so we can appreciate them clearly. Then there will be some production work to do, but the lion's share of the work is just giving the composition the space it needs to be audible.

NO

Wow this is loud and overstuffed.  By 2:00 my ears are already fatigued.  The guys are right, this needs to be pared back severely.  Each section can be cut by half, playing different combinations of things in each section, instead of ZOMG EVERYTHING full time.  Wow.  My brain literally hurts from this much stimulation.  Everything is the same volume, and on top of that, the track is mastered so heavily, it is clipping all over the place and sounds super over-compressed and crunchy.

All that said, I think this could be a great track!  But it has to be sculpted into a workable arrangement by removing many elements from each section.  In each section, one or two elements should be featured, with one or two backing elements.  The featured elements can be varied in the sections, providing sonic interest and contrast.  And the mastering has to be done much more gently.  Right now it is mastered even more heavily than I would expect from an EDM track.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Sonic Frontiers, Sonic the Hedgehog (XB360 & GEN) "I'm Always With You"