*NO* Marvel Super Heroes "Melancholic ArachniLad"

Liontamer

Artist: Nuac

I didn't add too much and can probably add a little more in the future.
I like the original song so I didnt try to add too much, I went with Chiptune; its what im familiar with the most.
I tried adding some rising ornamental notes inbetween parts, but tried to keep it in the spirit of the original, except I'd imagine it being on the gameboy.
I'm new to this, so hi 🙂👋

Games & Sources

Marvel Super Heroes (Spider-man Theme)

Capcom Sound Team people used Pseudonyms to prevent people from other companies contacting them for jobs.
A google search brought "ANARCHY TAKAPON" who is TAKAYUKI IWAI Apparently.

Edited by prophetik music

• Liontamer changed the title to 2024/02/06 - Marvel Super Heroes "Melancholic ArachniLad"

what a dope original! never heard it and it's awesome.

starts out with some pretty static tones, but the beat comes in at 0:11. initial writing is pretty faithful to the original. the drums aren't quite what i expected given the original sound concept. the bass is pretty active and the lead is very basic initially.

there's a recap at 1:06 and some repeated material (everything from there to 1:24 outside of adding the ascending arp flourishes in a few places). the following section is also very similar to the original outside of a few added flourishes. there's another repeat at 2:00 and then it repeats the opening section and fades out.

i like the concept here! i think there's a bit too much repetition for a piece that's only 2:10. i think the style survives the genre adaptation pretty well, though, so that's fun! i think there just needs to be more arrangement here - less ANARCHY TAKAPON and more Nuac. i'd also like to hear the drum mixing bring the drums out, assuming you're willing to use modern mastering tools and you aren't explicitly going for a GB-realistic sound.

NO

• 1 month later...

It's very difficult to write tunes that are strictly chiptunes while making them complex and engaging enough to be listened to as standalone music. Unfortunately, sticking to a fixed sound palette does make a track sound repetitive, even if there's no actual copy-pasting going on. I do notice the subtle variations between the loops in this remix, but they're quite subtle. 1:08 sounds too much like a return to 0:11. The fade-out ending adds to the feeling of repetition.

It sounds to me like you're not sticking to an authentic GB sound anyway—to me, the reverb sounds richer than what the GB could produce, and it feels like too many layers—so you might as well go the extra mile and use more tools than what it had. Change up the synths, strengthen the kicks. It's a good start, though.

NO

Well hello there!  Great source tune, and I like the concept for the remix in chiptune!  But I have to agree with my fellow Js that this arrangement comes off really repetitive as well as very conservative to the source tune.  And the production is odd, I think the low end is broken?

image.png.a5dd794404b7ce33bbbdcfa2fa71aab9.png

There is activity below 40Hz (mostly inaudible) and a dent between 40-80Hz, I can't say I've ever heard or seen a low end like this!  The inaudible low-end content makes the master overblown without even sounding loud or having any impact.  This production just isn't cutting it.  The reverb on the chiptune is fine, but the overall balancing and mixing isn't there; the drums are too weak and the leads are too loud.  Perhaps take this track to our workshop for further feedback.  MW is right, this is a good start!  Now take the time to learn proper production and arrangement skills.  Everyone starts somewhere, welcome to OCR!

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Marvel Super Heroes "Melancholic ArachniLad"