OCR04691 - *YES* RuneScape "You're in the Wilderness Now"

Emunator

Credits:

Emunator: Arrangement, keyboards, programming, additional mixing

Flexstyle: Arrangement, programming, mixing, mastering

Comments:

Emunator:

Mike and I always do our best work in real-time, and this one covers in-person studio sessions at both of our houses, and a couple of virtual Zoom mixing sessions as well. We started off with Mike programming the beats and that nasty custom 808 patch and me playing all of the melodies and riffs on keys, but things eventually went a bit off course. By the end of the process, we both contributed arrangement ideas, drums, bass, and more toward this twisted spin on hip-hop, inspired equally by 24/7 lo-fi study playlists and hard-hitting drill beats from artists like Pop Smoke or Drake.

Our original concept was strictly meant to be a cozy lo-fi romp through the forests of Lumbridge, not a care in the world as you chop trees, build fires, and kill cows. But the call of the wild was too strong to resist, and things turn dark as you approach the edge of the woods. The temptation of riches and power becomes too strong to ignore, and you step over the line that has forever separated civilized society from the lawless expanse that lay beyond.

You're in the wilderness now.

You're overcome with insatiable bloodlust, the urge to vanquish your foes becomes a roiling tempest within your spirit. There's no turning back now, this is what you were made for. Glory shall not be denied. You approach your first unsuspecting victim, wielding a longsword made of iron and a steadfast heart made of gold. And with a swing of your blade...

Zero damage. Huh? Crap. Your foe turns around, sly grin on their face, and with and a single crack of their Abyssal Whip, it's all over in an instant. As the world fades to black around you as you teleport back to Lumbridge, you hear the echo of their parting words...

"~~get rekt, n00b~~"

Flexstyle:

I'm infamous for not having played hardly anything I've ReMixed, but not this time! I spent so much time in Runescape as a kid in the early/mid-2000s, and this theme is burned into my brain from that era. When Wes and I sat down and decided we wanted to remix something together in a more lo-fi style, this is what came up, and I'm glad he was willing to run with it! I contributed a bit of arrangement and some sound design, and tightened down the final mix/master. Now all we need is a good rapper to drop some PK-ing bars for this Wilderness trap (beat)....anyways, enjoy this new flavor from the two of us!

• Liontamer changed the title to 2024/02/14 - RuneScape "You're in the Wilderness Now"

writeup is hilarious =)

really funky opening. tons of modulation on the keys and i'm here for it. bass patch is great, just a little bit of grit. percussion initially is really stylistically accurate as well. 1:14 has some fun guitar stuff and some new percussive elements which is nice. bass work there is clever.

there's a drop at 1:36 and it goes to just pads. we start to get some hint of the dirt that's about to hit and it builds up to 1:59 which has both a tempo change and a big style change. 2:10 was great, i love the way you sit back in the groove so far for this one. there's a final bass hit at 2:51 and then it's just growling its way out the door after that. there's some fun new textures brought around just in that last bit. it ends on a V which is a bit unsatisfactory but works fine.

this is an easy vote, as expected. excellent work between the two of you.

YES

• 1 month later...

What's with all the lo-fi pseudo-saturated submissions lately? Seems like it's all the rage these days.

Perfectly fine atmospheric hip-hop beats. I admit it does seem to beg for rap or something to fill the middle space, but as an ambient tune to chill out to, it works just fine.

YES

Yep, lo-fi is definitely the style du jour right now, and Wes has dived in with both feet and he is doing a great job with these arrangements.  I haven't heard this one before so I'm coming in cold on it, which is unusual for an Emu arrangement!  I love the chill vibe of this, the gritty badass sub bass, lots of ear candy and emotive keys, drums fit just right, awesome evolving arrangement, mastered to perfection, love it.  Gud job, guyz!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04691 - *YES* RuneScape "You're in the Wilderness Now"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04690 - *YES* RuneScape "You're in the Wilderness Now"
  • Chimpazilla locked this topic