*NO* Bravely Default "FLOW"

Liontamer

Artist: Kuri

I really wanted to make a Lo-fi-ish, chill beat using music from one of my favorite games of all time: Bravely Default. 

After listening to a bunch of tracks from the game, I found that these two tracks really meshed well together.

Florem's theme especially is a beautiful track, but I feel Bravely Default as a whole has a sound track that is under appreciated.

To make this track, I used two themes from the 3DS RPG, Bravely Default:

Bravely Default - The Fascinating Flower Country (Florem Theme)  Composed by REVO

Bravely Default - Eternity's Moment (Menu Theme)  Composed by REVO

Edited by Chimpazilla
closed decision

• 2 weeks later...

i don't know a single person who thought bravely default's ost wasn't outrageous. there's some incredible tracks in this ost.

starts with some sfx and then immediately really leans into the lofi super-modulated sound almost instantly. it almost sounds to me like this is the original sampled but it's hard to confirm that (material is from 0:59 in LoRF). the melodic material is almost completely lost at 0:21 while a clicky sound is most of the soundscape, and this persists until 1:25, which is a significant portion of the piece. we then get a recap of the initial stuff from 0:06 that appears to be an exact copy. 1:40 appears to be that same copy with the section at 0:21 layered on top of it. this layered approach of copied material persists until the end of the piece. there's a fade-out and it's done.

whether or not this is directly sampled and detuned from the original, well over half the piece is copy-paste from earlier in the track, so this isn't going to get a vote from me. it's a cool idea for a single loop and then it's obvious what's going on, and it just keeps repeating until the end. unfortunately that doesn't satisfy our requirements for transformative arrangement. there needs to be more development than just repeating two sound clips.

NO

• 1 month later...

Opens with a sample from Bravely Second (a confusing choice!); given that this is a SquareEnix game, which we can't accept samples from, this is instantly a CONDITIONAL at best. That has to go, for legal reasons.

I had to double-check to make sure the guitar wasn't also sampled; it's buried so deep under those massive, pounding beats that I can barely make it out. As near as I can tell, it's just a layer of these soundscape-dominating beats played over the two sources layered on top of each other, and repeated many times until it fades out. It's an interesting starting point, but it needs a whole lot more fleshing out to become an entire song. Also if you're going to put your melody in the background, whatever is lying on top of it has to be absolutely masterful; it's very challenging to pull off.

NO

The Bravely Second sfx would have to be removed, first and foremost.  This soundscape is really repetitive once it gets going.  The arrangement seems to be multiple repeats of the same thing, followed by a fadeout.  As the other two Js have said, there's a concern that the guitar in the arrangement is taken right from the source song.  Regardless, the arrangement continues on in a very repetitive and non-evolving way.  The energy, instrumentation and writing just repeat over and over, until the fadeout.  That isn't enough arrangement creativity and development for OCR.

The volume balancing needs another pass as well, as the clicky percussion is way too loud, and lead plucks are pushed backward into the soundscape.  The mastering is on the loud side but I don't hear any over-compression artifacts but it's right on the cusp of that.

NO