OCR04709 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, TP, OoA & SS "Legendary Depths"

RebeccaETripp
Rebecca Tripp

https://www.youtube.com/@RebeccaETripp/videos
ID: 48262
Game(s): Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, Oracle of Ages, Skyward Sword
Song Title: Legendary Depths
Songs Remixed: Serenade of Water/Queen Rutela (OoT and TP), Exploring the Sea (OoA), Water Temple (OoT), Ancient Cistern (SS), Lakebed Temple (TP), Ice Cavern (OoT)
Here’s a link: 

The oboe and english horn were performed by Medlix, the flute and piccolo by Gamer of the Winds, and the ocarina by Steven Higbee!

This song is the first third of a much longer water medley I composed for youtube.  This is sort of a fun submission for me because this part of the medley coincidentally comprises of three different themes I once submitted to you guys a long time ago that got rejected.

neat idea for a remix.

sfx and some flute to start, then oboe and harp among others come in quickly. serenade of water (or rutela, it's the same initial ascending line) is the first theme i hear, and it's realized in a moving, flowing manner that i'm assuming is influenced by the source context so that's neat. there's a notable tempo change at 1:38. flute work going into 2:39 was really nice. the percussion right after it, at 2:48 sticks out of the mix a little since it doesn't really have the same sound stage as the rest of it. there's a weird note or two at 3:32 and a few sections after it. i wondered how you'd convey the out-of-time elements of the water temple, and the live elements there really make it work.

the lush orchestration continues for some time, and by this point i'm really aching for some dynamic contrast at all. the orchestration is pretty, but there's been little to hold my interest that's not just "oh, there's a theme concept there" - there's few rhythmic elements in the backing parts so the track is a lot of sustains and similar orchestration noodling around. as a backing element to a visual work, this kind of approach can work, but for a standalone piece there really needs to be some meat under all the salad.

this is a typical rebecca piece, which is to say it has some beautiful orchestration, it's quiet and not fast, it doesn't have much dynamic contrast, and it competently portrays the themes represented. the themes are worked together so that transitions aren't obvious and flow smoothly. it's certainly above our bar. i appreciate the extra work done to make this much louder than previous submissions.

YES

• 1 month later...

Yep, classic Tripp piece. Lovely orchestration, but rambling and without a lot of dynamic variation to hold the listener's interest. It's actually kind of impressive to be this monotonous with 5 sources involved. But for listeners who enjoy this sort of thing, there's not much to complain about.

YES

This is ambient, lovely, meditative, and well performed.  All the sources are well represented and flow together swimmingly (see what I did thar?).  The mix is lovely, soft, engaging.   Performances are great and mixing/balancing is adequate.  Master is on the quiet side, but that isn't an issue.

YES

• 1 month later...

What pristine performances from Medlix, Gamer of the Winds, and Steven Higbee. How the themes intertwine and pass off is relatively seamless, handled very well. Arrangement is the star.

The tempo change at 1:38 really stands out.

2:01-2:30 has really lovely texture as the lushness really shines along with some small chromaticism.

The dynamics are relatively flat throughout and don't stray much. In turn this feels like a slog to listen to. Even more change from high to low would help contrast, IE more bass/celli. They are there but very quiet and soft. It's all light and no darkness, with maybe a touch of mystery or suspense.  That's really a creative decision and not a knock on the quality of the piece as a whole or something that must happen.

In the end I love that you really let your performers shine through and the arrangement is strong.

YES

• Hemophiliac changed the title to 2024/02/13 - *YES - TAG* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, TP, OoA & SS "Legendary Depths"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04709 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, TP, OoA & SS "Legendary Depths"