OCR04694 - *YES* Final Fantasy 5 "Standard of Light"

Emunator

Hi OCR!

Here is a piano arrangement of ff5 Search of Light and a little of Pirate Ahoy. As an exercise, I tried at the beginning to play a heroic theme of ff5 in a nostalgic mood. I've found the result interesting and I’ve started to develop this to get a complete arrangement.

I've begun with heroic harmonies of Search of Light’s intro, those I’ve adapted in soft arpeggios. The main theme comes after (part 2 to 4).

At part 5, I continue the melodic line with some arpeggios like in intro.

Parts 6 and 7 get closer to the heroic mood of the original. By using some variations in harmony, I've recognized a little Pirate Ahoy. So I’ve integrated some winks and I conclude the arrangement by Pirate Ahoy, in the same mood as the beginning.

For the title, I've thought to a flag used by some warriors of the see, in the light side.

Enjoy!

Guillaume

BREAKDOWN

• Part 1 : 0’00 : Search of Light intro (0’00 -> 0’03)
  • Part 2 : 0’43 : SL 0’03 -> 0’22
  • Part 3 : 1’19 : SL 0’22 -> 0’30
  • Part 4 : 1’40 : SL 0’03 -> 0’22
  • Part 5 : 2’13 : SL 0’22 -> 0’30 with key transposition of 0’30
  • Part 6 : 2’30 :
    Variation of SL 0’03 -> 0’22
    introducing harmonies of Pirate Ahoy and some winks to Pirate Ahoy
  • Part 7 : 3’05 : SL 0’30 -> 0’44
  • Part 8 : 3’28 : SL 0’03 -> 0’22 and PA 0 -> 0’40 together
  • Part 9 : 3’58 : PA 0 -> 0’40
Games & Sources

Game & Songs: Final Fantasy 5

Composer: Nobuo UEMATSU

• Liontamer changed the title to 2024/03/12 - Final Fantasy 5 "Standard of Light"

opening section has some Prelude vibes to it. 0:43's descending arpeggio is nice, and the contrast between the triplet fanfare elements and the duple left hand is a fun concept. there's a lot of patience here whereas i've always thought In Search of Light felt too fast in-game. i think that taking a bit more time gives the melodic elements more weight. 2:13's key change was nice to add some verve. bass around here was a little dense.

2:30 gets a lot louder and bolder, and trucks through some new material as well. after the big hit at 3:20, we get some layering of themes - these two fit together really nicely, and hearing the lydian harmonies of pirates ahoy against ISoL's chords is neat. after this is moves through the descending arpeggio line once more and then we get an open chord to finish it off.

this is straightforward and well-done. there's some interesting adaptation done here both in dovetailing PA into ISoL, and separately with expanding a pretty straightforward fanfare theme. nice work.

YES

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Beautiful, rich interpretation of the source material. Clearly written and performed by someone passionate about the work, which is odd given that it's a lesser-known track off the OST. It's a little simpler than other Bluelighter mixes I recall, but there's certainly enough depth to hold up.

YES

Lovely interpretation of these source tunes.  I agree that the slower pace reveals the beauty of these themes more than the in-game version.  Piano performance is impeccable and the sample is beautiful and full of dynamics, reverb is tasteful.  Excellent arrangement, and the piece resolves beautifully.  This one's a winner.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04694 - *YES* Final Fantasy 5 "Standard of Light"
  • Chimpazilla locked this topic