OCR04735 - *YES* Metroid Fusion & Castlevania 3 "DIABLO ALADO"

Emunator

Artist: Ridley Snipes, Emunator (feat. Xaleph, Lucas Guiamaraes, lunarice, JSABlixer, ZackParrish) [Emunator note: Trevor and I worked on this extensively together and would like to share co-primary artist credits, but since this was really his baby, I'd like for his name to show up first on the MP3 tags and artist listing. If that's not possible, I'd rather him take sole primary artist credits and relegate myself to a featured artist!)

Full Credits

Ridley Snipes - arranger, producer, engineer, vocals, "lyrics"
Emunator - additional bass design, sound design, percussion, vocals
Xaleph - additional bass design, vocals
Lucas Guimaraes - additional vocals
lunarice - additional vocals
JSABlixer - additional vocals
ZackParrish - additional vocals

Comments

After two rounds of GSM, we collectively declared the Fusion OST our nemesis and decided to dump Ridley's theme on this one solely to free up the other two picks.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition Evil Macarena!

I have always thought that the synth stab in various iterations of this theme sounded like the Macarena hook...and uhh yeah. My original plan was to go full Macarena on this, complete with full verses that blended elements from both the original Los Del Rio Macarena and the Bayside Boys remix. That clearly did not happen...instead I opted for a simple structure with 3 different Ridley drops, each with their own distinct flavor, and allowing the Castlevania source to carry through the more melodic turnarounds of the first two. Mine being more intimate, followed Xalpeh's bouncy psy trappings, and the third being Emunator literally reading my mind and going full evil industrial Macarena.

The chant was my substitute for the lyrical content we originally planned - the translation may not be perfect but it's serviceable haha. I wrote up some instructions and left the door open for anyone on the team to record as many wild takes as they wanted and send them my way, which culminated in a meaty 159(!) vocal tracks total that made it into the final product. Very happy to have had this level of participation in my silly blood ritual :)

Lyrics

Salve diablo
Ofrendo mi cuerpo
Entrego mi alma
Al dios nuestro
Dale a tu cuerpo eso vida Macarena!

• Liontamer changed the title to 2024/03/14 - Metroid Fusion & Castlevania 3 "DIABLO ALADO"
  • 3 weeks later...

opens with wet pads and some fun rhythmic pad elements. there's a beefy fifths pad at 0:20 that i really like. rhythmic elements come in at 0:38 and we get some ridley/macarena stabs (now i will never unhear that, thanks, i hate it). it's a lot meaner than the original macarena which i like a lot - there's a really strong vibe that shows through well here. the beat drops in just before the first minute mark and this whole section sounds great.

there's a big break at 1:37, and we get another rhythmic vibe at 1:55. the mad forest elements are there but it's really stretched out - it took me a bit to make the correlation between the different chunks of melodic material and where they match up. there's a big break with some fun voice clips, and then we get a party-next-door style build into 3:12. this is mask-off macarena and it's such a great beat. this trucks through a bit of the vox elements and then is done.

what an easy vote. this has a killer vibe throughout, it's super creative in the arrangement and influences, and it never gets stale. the mix sounds great and beefy. excellent work.

YES

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice rich soundscape to open up with. The evil Macarena influence follows, although the tone is so unexpected that it can be hard to pick up on it depending on whether you're listening for it. I imagine many listeners won't catch it until the lyrics at the end and will have to listen to it a second time. Good thing we recently revised our rules about referencing non-VGM music, or this might not have been allowed.

You can tell that this is a compo mash-up, unfortunately. Mad Forest and the SM boss theme are both used to build this, but they don't really interact, they just take turns. I'd ding it points for that when it came to voting in the compo, but that's by no means disqualifying here.

Still, this is super creative, not something I'd ever imagine existing. Fantastic work.

YES

How is it that I have not heard this one yet????  If Wes shared this wip with me (and he probably did at some point) it was much less developed.  Wow, what a huge opening.  I love that Deadmau5-esque huge synth.  Oh god, here comes the evil Macarena for sure, no one can NOT hear that!!!!  It's freaking excellent.  The instrumentation is some of the best I've ever heard, the production is perfect.  So much detail. The growly bass, dang.  Those whispery vocal stacks.  Evil, and groovy!!!  This is crazy good/evil.  This is something I'd expect to hear from NIN after Trent and friends had a night of dropping acid and summoning demons.  And now I'm doing the Macarena in my chair.  Good lord....

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2024/03/14 - *YES - TAG* Metroid Fusion & Castlevania 3 "DIABLO ALADO"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04735 - *YES* Metroid Fusion & Castlevania 3 "DIABLO ALADO"
  • Chimpazilla locked this topic