Emunator

Full Credits

Ridley Snipes - co-arranger, producer, engineer

Xaleph - co-arranger

Emunator - co-arranger

ZackParrish - additional bits and bobs

JSABlixer - additional bits and bobs

Notes

My first GSM track! ...was kind of a messy ride seeing as I wasn't even supposed to be "leading" this one originally. I use that term loosely, because I really served more as the organizational hub / engineer and because "someone had to steer the ship I guess" haha. I'm chalking that up to being just part of the learning curve of working in a high-pressure team setting (thanks GSM, hate love you).

I wasn't starting from a completely blank canvas though; within the first day, Xaleph had already hooked me up with a slew of stems suitable for a suspenseful intro and the rising organ toccata. I immediately was inspired to grab a quote from Aliens and get to work on crafting some kind of drop. From here I worked mostly with Wes, trying a few different hiphop/EDM combinations before we settled on this weird spacey/worldy take on drill. But, it quickly became painfully clear that we were much more interested in just making a Red Soil Brinstar drill mix than a true mashup.

And don't bring any more vampires into my office!

So naturally, to remedy this, we called Xaleph back in and just started sampling the hell out of everything. Turns out Xal was sitting on a treasure trove of public domain samples from old movies (and Sesame Street) that we just couldn't resist using. I guess Ripley was talking about vampires, not xenomorphs :P About 80% of the material past the organ buildup was his design - he really saved us from this being a Brinstar-only mix. That and he was also able to recycle some cut parts from Zack and JSABlixer that had since been written out while me and Wes kept shifting gears.

All in all it wasn't pretty, but we got the job done LOL. Wes and I actually had more-than-half a mind to not submit this and opt to rewind and make it the Brinstar mix it always wanted to be, but I think the spirit of GSM got to us in the end and we thought it'd be more fun just to ship it as-is. Cheers!

Games & Sources

• 2 weeks later...

opens with sfx and gets a beat around 0:13. a few ripley quotes (ridley? ripley?) and we're into a big, expansive, wide brinstar vibe with a ton of tempo-synced elements and fat pads. drum work is really nice, especially right before 1:15. 1:30 finally shows some castlevania - what a perfect dovetail there, and then following it with the organ and choir with the same drum concepts over it is great.

2:09 is a vibe change (admittedly i didn't see it going there!) and there is a ton of sfx in this section, as well as some really wild genre changes going on. 2:35 onward has some sections that feel very empty - by design, but it's almost too much - and then it hihats through to a filtered outro and it's done.

this is easy. arrangement is just fantastic as expected - the two themes really work well together, and the realization is fantastic. from a mixing perspective, the wildly different elements all fit together well and are mastered appropriately. great work.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2024/03/17 - Super Metroid & Castlevania 3 "Red Harvest"
  • 1 month later...

This should have been called "Gold Harvest" because I feel like everything Ridley touches turns into gold.

Extremely well put together and produced piece with personality and personalization everywhere. The quote from Aliens was a nice touch and fitting for Metroid (Ridley used Ridley, it's super effective!)

As you all had mentioned this is much more Super Metroid than CV3 in this, but it's not like balance is a requirement at all. Great work wrangling all the parts and everyone together.

YES

Sounds so huge right away, I love that!  Awesome sound design here.  Arrangement is full of interest, various unique sounds and timbres, and ear-candy.  The bass is so badass.  Excellent mix of these two themes.  I love the vocal snippets.  This arrangement has a smooth yet spooky vibe.  The master is loud, clean and confident. Such an easy vote.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2024/03/17 - *YES* Super Metroid & Castlevania 3 "Red Harvest"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04721 - *YES* Super Metroid & Castlevania 3 "Red Harvest"
  • Chimpazilla locked this topic