OCR04702 - *YES* Bravely Second "Cristal Galáctico"

Artist Name: tibonev

Arranged this for the Pixel-Mixers 'Fairy Fantasia' Bravely Series tribute album. 

For my track, its a hybrid between electronic (borderline synthwave), but using real guitars and a real electric bass. 
Lots of different synth sounds, all kinda pointing to the early 80s, and lots of clean electric guitars with chorus/delays.

The main idea behind the arrangement was see how much i could with a source that was a piano solo, and how much i could add, without losing the original characteristic of the source. I think i managed to craft a very unique feel while still retaining a bit of that sorrow feel of the original, but ofc, that is open to interpretation. 

Games & Sources

Game: Bravely Second: End Layer
Source: At that Time (the track is also called 'On that Day' on spotify, its the same song as linked in the youtube video below)
Composer: Ryo
Youtube Link: 

Just throwing a quick one due to being on vacation but wanting to not hold things up. I liked hearing the synthwave-inspired approach; definitely an interesting choice. It's passable, but the performance is still too stiff and not as expressive and fluid as it should be, e.g. the little flourishes at 1:15, the programmed drumming, which felt the most stilted, the synth at 2:51, which also felt too robotic, and just the overall pacing/flow. It's OK to be deliberate, and this is solid, but it's missing that extra level. Not sure what was going on from around 2:29-2:38, but I would have changed the notes there; something wasn't quite clicking there with the writing.

I could understand if others have more reservations or want things improved more. Regardless, transformative, reasonably performed.

YES

chill pads to start. there's some panning FM bells and ballad drums that come in next, and the bass is there at 0:43. this is a longer intro than i'd expect to hear overall, and i didn't care for how overtone-heavy the FM bells were. the clean electric guitar that comes in next is nice, but the muted stuff that's panning is a touch ahead of the beat and really distracting given how important groove is to this style. the melodic content - really more of a motif initially - finally comes in at 1:25. the 16th hats here are a good idea to keep it different from the opening. the mixing here is a little mid-heavy (i think you've got a lot in the 250hz range to my ear, some notch EQing will help). the b portion of the melody is at 1:50 and the guitar work here is simple but effective.

there's a break at 2:10 and that's well-timed. 2:29 has a guitar solo that sounds regularly a fourth off of the correct key - there's a lot of tones that don't quite fit. for example, you've got a G-A-Bm chord progression, and the first part of the riff hits an F over the G (G isn't a 7 chord here), a G over the A chord (again, not a 7), and settles on an A over the Bm chord (again, not a 7 chord), then plays A G# F# E over a Bm chord (Bm does not have a G#, the G# bites against the earlier G chord) and settles on an E - the 4th of Bm, not a natural landing tone - over that Bm. it ends better though and that resolution is really nice.

2:51 is a nice lead break with a smooth synth taking the melodic content. there's some more heavy rhythm guitar in the next run of the B theme and the guitar lead comes back for a last run through. the panning FM bells come back for a bit and the pads fade us out.

this is honestly really close. i think the arrangement is pretty conservative - the original does a lot more with the melodic progression that wouldn't really fit into a synthwave track, so i get deconstructing it like this. the style is pretty solid - larry said deliberate and i think that's an apt term to describe the feel. i like layering in the guitar where you did as well. i don't think the solo sits well at all until the last few notes, and there's another sour note note at 2:24 that's a half-step off - i can't help but wonder if it could be fixed in post-processing rather than re-recording it. i also really didn't care for the muted panned guitar elements that came in a few times and weren't really on the beat.

i'm not comfortable passing this. i'm going to reach out and see if we can't work out the solo though because if that's fixed i can definitely see this passing.

NO

edit: 4/12: we worked together to fix the solo. it's above the bar now for me!.

YES

Edited by prophetik music

A Bravely Second remix? Where did this come from? Didn't you know that this soundtrack isn't supposed to exist, according to popular opinion on the internet because it's not composed by Revo?

Memes aside, I actually really do enjoy a lot of what Bravely Second had to offer in it's OST, even if it doesn't have the same character as the original, so I'm happy to see something fresh coming from the series much maligned (and wrongly so, might I add) direct sequel.

The source is really quite the slick piano solo, and this is a very solid reinterpretation of that source, with those rich synths and live guitar performances. No question that this is the source, and with the open chords in the beginning and solo starting at 2:29 (not to mention, y'know, that this is transforming a piano solo to an 80's style synthwave reinterpretation, of course) there's no doubt that there's plenty of interpretation going on, here.

I hear some critique on the guitar performances, and I'll concur that the lead does sound stiff, almost plodding. I'll also add that there is a hint of hesitation in the lead, as well. Neither of these items sink the arrangement, but they're things you can tighten up in any arrangement moving forward.

The other arrangement critique on the solo is something that I concur with - there are a few sour notes in there, which prophetik did a fantastic job isolating. It's only three notes that really stand out as unacceptable (at 2:30, 2:35, and 2:41), the rest aren't nearly as offensive (even if I do agree with everything prophetik says about it).

Overall this is a pretty solid arrangement on our hands. Is it perfect? Nah, there's some tightening up in the guitar that could help elevate it, and the solo had a few notes that I'd be better without, but I don't think these send this arrangement below the bar. Nice work!

YES

• 1 month later...

Loud-ish sharp panning bells in the intro.  This is a nice, soft, chill reinterpretation of this source.  I'm listening to this after proph assisted with the solo, and what I'm hearing here sounds just fine, guitar performances sound good.  I'm not sure I would call this synthwave, it's sort of a hybrid but it works.  Drums could be mixed a touch louder.  Arrangement works well, this is nice; enjoyable listen.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04702 - *YES* Bravely Second "Cristal Galáctico"
  • Chimpazilla locked this topic