Twisted Systerz, Mara and Nara's theme remix from DW 4

Posted (edited)

Another shot at this. I lowered the number of lead instruments used as suggested...I think that turned out pretty well. I made the bass patch on Harmless...I think I like how that synth works, as far as adjusting the volume of specific harmonics is concerned. I imported a single cycle waveform to manipulate. I made the first lead after the intro on Harmor, (where the stutter synth was last time), the bell lead is on Ogun. I lowered some of the high frequency content on that bell lead, as suggested. On the break, I layered the bell and Harmor leads after automating some filters for those parts.  The second time through the melodic content, I lowered the volume of the backing elements, I felt they were too loud. I also applied some transient processing on the trance pad.

For the bass and snare drums, I did some eq and compression work on the lower and middle frequencies, as well as applying some transient processing. I think they push through more now.

I do have a send that I was using, but I mainly used that for sidechaining the snare to the mids and highs. Someone said something about having reverb on that send instead of the individual tracks, but it didn't turn out well IMO, so I reapplied the individual reverbs, and put a slight side channel reverb on the send.

I appreciate feedback, and thanks:)

Edit: I listened to this through a different set of headphones, and I think there might be too much sub bass on the bass instrument....I could easily lower the slider for the sub harmonic to fix that. Also, I added some chorus effect to the bass, but used Maximus to bring the stereo information back to center for the lower frequencies.

Edited by Audiomancer

Yeah i dunno italo disco well, my recipe would be "octave basslines all the way, and molto formaggio!"

But i love taking Something cheeezy and making It work on another Level.

Hey, maybe we can collab on Something this year. If you're Game.

I use FL as well, and am mostly working on crappy netbooks. So we could get Something going with harmless or a synth Like that.

Posted (edited)

1:00 - The keys feel pretty static here, and think some kind of movement would be warranted here.

1:15 - Really love the rhythm here

1:25 - I feel like there needs to be some kind of "pay-off" in the high end here.

This is definitely a great concept, and an absolute bop. I'd recommend giving the snare some reverb in a separate bus. I know you mentioned that was not working too well, and I used to encounter that a lot until I started cutting everything below like 400-500hz after the reverb on that bus, as well as taking out some of the 2k-5k range, and then a smooth curve on everything  above like 13k-15k made a huge difference for taming reverb busses.

The last thing I'd note is the bass is suuper thicc here; without looking at a freq analyzer, it sounds like either the 2nd harmonic of the sub, or it's overall level may just be a tad too high.

All to say that I really like the vibes going on here :)

Edited by mo.oorgan

Molto parmigiana con mozzarella! I like the overall sound of the mix and I think you've captured the genre fairly well, as well as translated the source tune nicely.

I feel like that chord at 0:08 and 0:16 has something off harmonically or there's some pitch wheel that's been left on so that it doesn't land back where it feels it should go, perhaps in the instrument behind the bell synth. Once it gets going post-intro it feels a lot better. The breakdown at 0:33 works well, but I feel after things come back in I want more presence in the low-mids including in the second breakdown. Once the arps come in around 1:27 I'm satisfied there, so perhaps have something in that range in the soundscape beforehand? Pitch bends after this point work really well. Outro sits very nicely.

Short and sweet, but I'm left wanting some more. Not necessarily in terms of length but in terms of sonic depth.

I'm not familiar with italo disco, but I'm liking the overall sound. I also really like the sound selection and synth work in this track. I found that the cymbals may be a bit forward and static. I feel more variety could be useful in the track, but overall I think its going in a great direction.

This is quite a bold take on the source material, though a bit safe arrangement wise, which is fine by me. The instrument choice/craft give rise to an authentic Italo-disco experience. I wasn't shocked by the amount of bass, which imho is a-propos as a defining feature of the genre. Likewise with the sound quality/character of the synths, which are intently vintage, thus enhancing the feel you're going for. You might wanna introduce some variation as you expand the remix, as the source material gets repetitive like a lot of tunes from the era. But Italo-disco tend to also cruise on, so be extra careful not to make your arrangement redundant in the process. And of course have fun. :)

Posted (edited)

Thank you all for the feedback! I hope to post later today an updated version. Changed a couple small things, and did a mastering pass.

Edit. File uploaded. Lowered the bass slightly, added an additional part the second time through the A portion of the tune, a high pitched chime as one of the posters mentioned, and did a mastering pass using caustic mastering...8 think I got some more high end presence and clarity. Lowered one of the harmonics on the bass. Thanks!

Edit: Oh, one more thing, the italo disco sounding song that I took some of my sound ideas from.

https://youtu.be/8C35sdjc_cw?si=hU8Ss0qREsCgkvRe

New version of my song below.

Edited by Audiomancer

Hey, i'm listening on my crappier €100 speakers again (80-2k Hz).

It Sounds good! Good Sign.

I Like the intro noise. Maybe a Harder crescendo and a sudden cutoff when the 4 hit would give It more Energy, but idk B4 i Hear It.

U Happy with the length? I do feel this could easily be a ~4 min piece, and If you Go the extra Mile/minute with It, work on some Crazy extension whatever It Is...you might Cook up some truly EPIC cheeze.

It could be a restructuring with 1 or 2 calmer parts in between mby, or a simple extension If you find a fitting One.

It's good as It Is, but maybe you should Double down on this one and make It AWESOME. It's Wörth It!

I was wondering if I could incorporate the battle theme for that chapter in Dragon Warrior 4. Chapter 4 is the only one where the characters have a different battle theme as well as overworld theme. I could possibly squeeze an ambient break in the middle of this remix that uses that battle theme. Battle theme linked below.

https://youtu.be/9iR9Is3SBcw?si=Qjs6fBoxHMnrVqmD

On 6/15/2024 at 3:35 AM, Audiomancer said:

I was wondering if I could incorporate the battle theme for that chapter in Dragon Warrior 4. Chapter 4 is the only one where the characters have a different battle theme as well as overworld theme. I could possibly squeeze an ambient break in the middle of this remix that uses that battle theme. Battle theme linked below.

https://youtu.be/9iR9Is3SBcw?si=Qjs6fBoxHMnrVqmD

Wow...i didnt know DW sounded so....Italian.

Sounds Like accordion composition on NES.

Wanna include an accordion?? 

I added an extra section incorporating bits of the battle theme for the sisters. Not sure if I like the lead I chose or not in that section....or rather, I like it, will others? It's a Yamaha dx 7 guitar patch, and the bass drone was made with Sawer, with an lfo on the sync frequency. I had it more in tune sounding, but decided I wanted to push the amplitude on the lfo just a little more to give a more detuned sound. The pad is one I  made from scratch on Harmor, with various parameters effected by lfos, and well as some harmonic content being altered with the image synthesist part of Harmor. Thanks!