OCR04712 - *YES* Mass Effect "Cosmic Contemplation"

artist: prophetik music

mass effect is a series with a number of unforgettable moments. the first time you open the galaxy map and see the different places you'll be exploring the first time in mass effect 1 is one of them. this theme is just absolutely perfect for capturing that sense of exploration and wonder and i've always wanted to do an arrangement of it as a result.

i intentionally didn't want to focus on a bumping beat with real drums, or a synthwave-esque approach, as i've been in a bit of a creative rut lately around that. instead, i focused on more interesting combinations of synths with rhythmic elements, and played around with some of the chord progression under the melodic material.

i mostly used omnisphere for this.

Games & Sources

Mass Effect series (mostly 1 for this) - Uncharted Worlds

I remember listening to this during the mixing process, so let's see how it holds up to scrutiny with my judging hat on!

This arrangement clearly feels like a deliberate exercise in restraint, which can feel like a bit of a rug pull at first when you're expecting a big beat drop and don't get one, but the concept really opens up on repeat listens and rewards patience. There's a ton of evolution and tension created by the ebbing and flowing of different synth lines and arpeggios without needing to utilize any massive drops or dynamic changes or big moments - it still feels pretty massive all the same! You picked a perfect source to test this approach with, too - the repeating arpeggios give you so much room to play around with tension and release, and you capitalized perfectly.

If I had one beef, it would be the bassline in the intro feeling just a bit too static before the sidechaining effect comes in. Some gradual decay on the volume envelope, or some very subtle filter automation would probably help that be more compelling for the first minute and a half, but hey - at least the patch itself is beefy!

Unconventional and memorable without any of the showboating that typically comes with electronic music, I love it!

YES

Very cool source tune, gives me Tangerine Dream vibes.  It has a mixed time signature element, I hear what I think is a fast 6/4 and also 4/4 sections.

Cool arps to start with, but the lower sound is boxy to my ears and very loud.  This sound is super prominent at 260Hz which is making it boxy.   I love the bass when it comes in.  I hear what Wes is saying that some automated filter movement or filtered-in start to the sidechaining on the bass and/or other elements would help this thing groove in the intro.  By the time the pads and chips come in, the soundscape is better filled in.  It's a luscious soundscape, I love it.  Feels like floating out in space.  Also giving me a very mellow Donkey Kong vibe.  

When the kick comes in, I am loving this groove, because the 4-on-the-floor is totally unexpected!  Great way to quickly ramp up the energy.  The kick is somewhat tame and lacking beef for my taste, but it's audible.  The sidechaining is heavy for this small of a kick sound, giving the soundscape a pumpy-ness that isn't warranted by this kick.  In the final section/outro, that first synth returns at 3:08 with the 260Hz spike.  It's not a bad sound, but it is boxy.  It is boxing my ears!

A few production issues, but nothing holding this back for me.  Other than my mixing crits, I love this arrangement and soundscape.  Very lush and spacey.

YES

Edit 6/12/24:  New version corrects the 260Hz problem and adds movement in the first half.  Sidechaining has been reduced to match the (still small!) size of the kick.  Sounds better.

Edited by Chimpazilla

That's a fat bottomed mix, full of Mass. Effect of that is a more full and borderline muddy mix at times.  I think some movement on those long held out bass drones would have gone a long way to both help alleviate the thickness and also propel the mix forward even more.  Could have been more exaggerated crescendos/decrescendos, filter sweeps, or both even. Like Chimpazilla, I did pick up the ducking from side chaining when the kick does come in at 1:39. It's just barely enough to come through and not be obnoxious pumping.

With that said though, the arrangement itself is very nice and the soundscape and sound design are very cool. Those previously mentioned issues are not detracting from my overall enjoyment or listening experience and don't have enough Mass to sink this ship.

YES

Edited by Hemophiliac

I like the subtle lil' swirl effect on the opening sound; nice and engaging opening playing with the rhythm of the source and with some very cool sound design. The imagery feels like a scientific/technological experiment going on that has a lot of futurist potential. 3 minutes in, the rhythm keep going as it did from the start, yet it doesn't plod at all, then the textures started to get subtractive and wind down starting at 3:08. Contemplative as advertised, I love the mood this sets! :-)

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2024/06/03 - *YES - TAG* Mass Effect "Cosmic Contemplation"
  • Liontamer locked this topic

for those that care, i put a slightly altered new version above. i made some very subtle changes based on critiques around the opening bass drones and a freq pop that kris called out. i also backed off the sidechain just a bit to balance it better, at least partially by lowering the volume of one of the arps in the higher-energy section.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04712 - *YES* Mass Effect "Cosmic Contemplation"