*NO* Final Fantasy 6 'Magitek Invasion: The Mystic Forest'

Liontamer

Remixer name: DJTylo

Contact info: tylo@fantasticrealm.net

Name of Game ReMixed: Final Fantasy VI (3 US)

Name of song remixed: Phantom Forest

Comments: This song was created with experimentation in mind solely. The time signature was changed from 3/3 to 4/4 and the melody warped into a loopable fun machine. I thought outside the box on this one and came up with something unique, well unique to my style anyhow. The effects are generic, but still give a feeling much like the actual game atmosphere.

------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ff6 - "The Phantom Forest" (ff6-115.spc)

On the arrangement side, you have some good interpretive ideas, but the execution is weak. Opening is a decent idea, though the samples sound pretty flat, particularly the woodwinds. The guitar strings tend to sound the best. The woodwind lead brought in at :39 was arguably too quiet (personal taste), and has some jerky note-to-note movements.

The beats brought in at 1:19 initially seemed interesting, but simply segued to a bland drum pattern at 1:43 that had absolutely no power behind it. Coupled with those bone-dry bowed strings, the texture was EMPTY. Some equally barren electrosynths joined at 2:15 sounding completely out of place. Nothing had any meat behind it. Cycled back to the stuff from that intro at 3:35, then the track VERY abruptly cutoff at 3:44.

You gotta give more depth to your instrumentation, and flesh out the arrangement with additional parts. Very inorganic result for an organic-minded piece. Decent first sub, but you've gotta learn a lot more about how to put together a rich-sounding and comprehensive arrangement. Right now, the sounds are empty and bland, and the performance doesn't flow well.

NO

• 1 month later...

Hey, I just got FF6:A recently and played this scenario last night.

Interesting rhythmic changes & syncopation between the strings, guitar, and flutes at the beginning. The clarinet that comes in is REALLY dry, centered, and fake-sounding though. Way too exposed, and having only three instruments going up until nearly halfway through the mix is no good when they sound fake to begin with. I liked where you were going with the drum sequencing but I don't think it really fit here. The beat itself was alright, but the production was on the weak & dull side, and you didn't add anything else to densify the rest of the texture. If you're going to combine orchestra and breakbeats you need to really go for a "wall of sound". If you're too sparse it just sounds goofy and out of place.

Try to get better samples for the orchestral elements, or at least sequence/process them in a more realistic way. I was feeling the intro here and I'm not really sure what happened. The solo violin later is as bad as the clarinet earlier. The synths you added don't fit at all either. Also, no ending? Come on!

The concept is good, and there are a couple nice arrangement ideas, but this isn't at our bar yet. Keep working at it and don't forget to use our ReMixing and Works-in-Progress forums to get help and feedback.

NO

Feeling what Larry and Andy are saying. The samples for the acoustic instruments are distracting. Either upgrade the samples or spend some more time processing them so they don't stick out of the soundfield like a sore thumb.

As mentioned before, how you sequence a particular sample can have a huge effect on how realistic it sounds.

The beats wear out their welcome quickly. The occasional drum fill, transition, hit, hell ANYTHING would help.

You're definetly interpretting the source material, which puts you ahead of a lot of submissions we receive, but both the production and the arrangement have a long way to go.

NO