Sounds rippish to start, but some new ideas were definitely observed later - LT

Contact Info:

ReMixer Name: ylwsub68

Email: ylwsub68@gmail.com

ReMix Info:

ReMixed Game: Super Metroid

ReMixed Song: Maridia Rocky Underwater Area

ReMix Name: Super Metroid Classical Maridia OC ReMix

Comments: A classical rearrangement of the original, even sadder and more depressing.

Link:

------------------------------------------------

Heh. What kind of mixer name is that? j00 makin' no sense!

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=sm - "Maridia Rocky Underwater Area" (sm-24.spc)

Well, the arrangement is rather conservative and doesn't stand apart from the original enough in terms of the tone or structure. It's denser, sure, and I like your choice of instrumentation, but overall that's about it so far. As I alluded to in my off-the-cuff comment up top, it might as well be a MIDI rip with how verbatim the delivery was.

However, you came back from the brink and steadily kept moving upward. Some simple but good countermelodic stuff on the low strings came in at 1:19. Again, aside from that, the structure was still the same. Some good new writing at 2:13. Initially returned to the structure of the original at 2:53 with some noticeably thin strings, going in a new direction however with some nice lil' string runs derived from the source. Great idea there.

Nice idea at 3:50 for the accompanying strings under the melody. The ending at 3:56 was a letdown and not a strong resolution. The overall production was good with me. The roominess and density a piece like this needed were there.

I gotta say though Jon, after a shaky start on the arrangement/interpretation front, you introduced and successfully weaved a lot of subtle but original new ideas with the source material. I dunno how you're gonna fare with the rest of the panel, but I feel like you ultimately took the source, kept the mood intact, but added enough original ideas and personalization in the arrangement to carry it home. Not many tracks that hit the panel cause such a swing in my perception from start to finish. Good luck on the rest of the vote.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

the piz. string intro is weak. The sample doesnt sound great, and the part isnt strong enough to be a solo. The bass part comes in, and is repetitive and too loud. Some of the other string parts are also written akwardly.

I see what larry's saying; the arrangement presents some interesting ideas, especially towards the end, but you really need to polish this track, smooth out the beginning and end, and check the ingredients for...ugh...millipedes.

NO

I feel this track doesn't really engage the listener until around 2:13, and not just because that's where the track gets a little more "full". The intro pizzicato strings are really weak, and poorly sampled. The overall execution does in fact need to be polished. Stuff like, more dynamic flow in the first half of the track. Or, for example, the way the way the violin just cuts off at 1:10, where IMO it should have been eased out.

Samples otherwise are OK, and used well enough. I like the direction of the 2nd half of the track. The trem. strings at 3:00 were off the chain. Quite cool. Ug. those pizz. strings sound more like a koto than plucks. I implore you to find a different sample for it. 4:00 was another delight in terms of part-writing for me.

Cool ideas, but Jess is right in that this needs to be polished up a little. Fix the pizz, apply more dynamic range for individual instruments and parts, and definitely conjure up a better ending. I like where you're going with this. It's not bad at all! It could also be much better than what it is. I'd like to hear a resubmit down the road.

NO

The naked strings in the intro really exposed the not-so-good sample quality. Around 2.15 the track starts to get interesting as more textures are added, but before that the sparseness of the instrumentation and the fact that it stayed so close to the original arrangement meant that it wasn't that interesting to listen to. At 2.53 (and this is a minor point) the reverb seemed to just die unnaturally, too soon.

The arrangement improved as the mix went on, parts from 3.45 sounded good. The ending was unexpected, it just seemed to prematurely end. Needs some more work.

NO

those pizz. strings sound more like a koto than plucks. I implore you to find a different sample for it.

I was thinking that, too. In fact, I would love to hear a resubmission *with* koto and more ethnic instruments! The texture here is just so incredibly thin; you really need to beef things up and apply some better samples. Arrangement is decent starting about halfway through, but it still needs a lot of development; there is a distinct lack of transition between ideas. Keep it up.

NO