*NO* Super Mario Land 2 'Star Dance'

Liontamer

Hi, i am a new remixer named "Alex Wyler." I've noticed that there is a lack of Super Mario 2: 6 Golden Coins (for gameboy) remixes! What a shame. So, I decided to rework the star world theme. The end result is entitled "Star Dance." Enjoy.

PS: in case you are unfamiliar with the origianal, i have attached it as well (starworldtheme(original).wav)

-Alex Wyler

--------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/gbs/sml2.zip - Track 29

There are several variations of this theme in the soundtrack, but this one's the primary source tune, as noted from the attachment by the submitter.

I'll say this much, it's got a good groove. The arrangement has some good ideas, like altering the rhythms of the melody. At only 2:08-long though, it's almost a lock that this isn't a developed enough idea to pass. The textures are basic but headed in the right direction. Right now though, there's just not enough complexity or sophistication behind 'em.

The melodic and harmonic instrumentation are pretty flimsy (along with those claps) and the beatwork, while somewhat beefy, is pretty repetitive and simplistic. Cap it off with the arrangement ending before it had a chance to develop, and you're left with a lot of things that show promise but could use a lot more development.

NO

• 1 month later...

Took me a second to recognize the melody, because the rhythm and emphasis was changed and it gave the source a whole new feel.

This is pretty decent stuff, but I feel it lacks achieving it's full potential at this point. It's fairly short, and at just over two minutes, I felt like there could have been a little more crazy-go-nuts in the arrangement and beat-work. The claps just got a little too boring and outstayed their welcome. The ending was one of the weakest points of the track. I'd like you to work out something with a little more resolution there.

Not a bad attempt, and it shows some promise, but needs a little more work yet.

NO

• 1 month later...

The production here is off. The bass seems overcompressed while the high end is peaking through. The snare is too soft and it's hard to hear the kick. There's a lot of pumping on some parts but not on others which is just confusing to listen to, and the whole thing feels on the quiet side for some reason. It definitely needs to be re-mixed/mastered to sound right. Also in terms of production, a lot of the samples and synths are pretty plain such as the main lead which sounds like a simple FM synth. Put some vibrato on it (mod wheel), automate the filter, have it move around more, anything to make it more interesting.

The arrangement is OK with some good ideas (changing the rhythms etc) but just peters out and doesn't have much of a structure. Plus the overall concept of your mix sort of mimics how the original is set up with the four-on-the-floor drums and similar harmony riffs. Try to expand on those ideas more, make your remix dynamic.

Soem good ideas, but keep at it. Hit the WIP and ReMixing forums for more advice, also hang out on #ocrwip on IRC.

NO