Contact Info:

* Remixer Name: PSPACE

Remix Info:

* Game: Phantasy Star

* Song ReMixed: "Intro".

* ReMix Title: Opening Solemnity

* Original Song:

* ReMix Location:

* Comments: This mix takes the original motif and changes it, building on the solemn drama and adding sweeping orchestral sounds. My mix of the opening song actually inspired a novel for me to write, and so I made it my own. The percussion is very important. I took cues from the Phantasy Star Online music in this regard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/vgm/phanstar.zip - "Intro"

Hahahahaha! Not the most melodious source tune I've ever heard. No offense to Bo, but it's almost hard to see why Phantasy Star, as a franchise, didn't simply die based off that "Intro". :-D

Use VBR for your encoding, so it doesn't sound so lossy. Interesting opening, but the instrumentation was noticeably sparse. Would have been nothing killer here *if* it didn't hold onto that sparseness for so long, but after a few minutes there was still no meaningful development or contrast. The note movements for the brass were awkward in places, the drumwork in particular was spartan, and the textures were too thin.

The track finally picked up in a more major way at 4:06, but the textures were still pretty hollow. Some of the military style drumming seemed off-time, and the brass had no power behind it. Escalated even further at 5:47 (did that drum transition clip???), but the soundfield still didn't fill out. You're trying to go for delicate and measured, and it just ends up sounding very thin and empty. The arrangement drags, the performance sounds hollow. Kills off any emotion you're trying to convey.

NO

• 2 months later...

Phantasy Star is my pal.

Right off the bat, the orchestral sounds are really fake. The brass just sounds unrealistic, there's no saving grace for it. I would use strings instead for those long sustained notes. The percussion is too loud with respect to the brass when that starts coming in. Taking until 1:31 to add strings is just too long... that whole first part is extremely boring. It's minimal in a bad way, and repetitive. I would take it out entirely or rewrite it in a big way. After the strings drop out again, it goes back to being sparse and minimal for awhile. No good. As Larry said 4:08 is where it actually picks up and that's over halfway through the (very long) track.

Considering the length here there are very few arrangement ideas. The samples and mixing are weird. The orchestration seems off. Perhaps it's the source tune you picked which is really not melodic or harmonious to begin with, but either way, it just doesn't click. Larry pretty much summed it up. Feels like half the instruments are missing.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

i don't agree with larry hating on the source, but nobody's perfect. to compensate this flaw, he is in fact quite super in the ways of moderation.

right off the bat, this needs some work. the pace is just... really...

really...

really...

... i mean...

...really...

...really

...plodding.

i suppose i'm being somewhat of a jerk to type it out that way, but seriously, i'm 4 minutes into the track and i'm just really tired of waiting to see when the track's going to open up. there's absolutely no bottom end to speak of, and the sound textures are paper thin and dry as over-cooked flatbread.

the random snare hits are way out of place early on, and later one, the harp kind of dominates the playing field.

keep at it Alvin, we all start somewhere. just keep practicing, and learning new techniques. the piece lacks emotion at this point, and you just need to figure out how to really integrate that into your writing. your works will improve vastly when that happens. good luck in future projects.

NO