FL & MIDI Controllers

Sorry for another thread, but I wanted to ask two quick questions.

If you go to FL (I use FL5), go to packs, then Sytrus, you have all catergories of instruments. Arp, Bass, Bell, Brass, Chromatics, etc. When you open these, a Sytrus window pops up with piano keys at the bottom and all sorts of options.

Question One: Are those just made with Synthesizers? Can I create sounds like that, just the same?

Question Two: When I use a MIDI controller, can I just play up and down the keyboard rather than click each of those piano keys to record the sound? Or do I have to open another screen to start recording? What I'm hoping I can do is, click "record" or "play", then as the cursor scrolls the measures, play the keyboard and have it record all of what I play, then stop at the end.

Is this possible?

Yes this is possible. All you have to do is align the midi port channel with the one your MIDI controller is using. The midi port channel is that digital-display number you see in the upper right-hand corner of the channel box (for example, click on a sample channel, it will become obvious what I am talking about.)

uuuuuupgraaaaaade

Also, those Sytrus sounds are just the presets. Those sounds are, in fact, the synthesizer with premade settings. I'm... not really sure what you're trying to ask. Why do you want to make sounds just like them when you already have the presets for them?

What version is out now? I didn't know I was that behind. What am I missing out on?

I wanted to know if all I needed was a synth to make all those nifty sounds. It sounds like a real bell, drum, and brass in a lot of those. I wasn't sure if they were synthed, or actually recorded instruments.

Yes this is possible. All you have to do is align the midi port channel with the one your MIDI controller is using. The midi port channel is that digital-display number you see in the upper right-hand corner of the channel box (for example, click on a sample channel, it will become obvious what I am talking about.)

I'll try to find what you're talking about. I just discovered the "step editor" button, where I can press keys on my keyboard (not MIDI keyboard, acutal keyboard) to record sounds. Problem is, it records as I press. Is there a way to get it to scroll and let me hit the keys and put in sounds where I see fit?

That's kind of sad. Don't worry, eventually you'll become accustomed to what is real and what is fake.

Good news for the guys behind Sytrus though, I guess.

FL Studio 7 is out. It improves on everything.

I'm a music n00b. I love listening, but I don't pay attention to the source - as long as it sounds good.

FL7? Damnnn, I don't want to spend tons of money again. Would the XXL or Producer editions be best? Or do I not need those?

Well, free upgrades unless you bought the boxed version (I did, since I could get it at an academic discount if it was boxed). Then, you have to pay something like $29 to get free updates for life. Definitely worth it.

To record using a keyboard, arm FL Studio for recording (hit the record button), select the channel you want to record into, hit space to start recording, and then start playing. You might also want ot turn on FL Studio's metronome to keep in sync, and there's also a feature to have a bar of lead-in, giving you time to get your hands from the space bar to your MIDI keyboard.

Sytrus itself is a synthesizer. The presets specify the particular settings of all the knobs in Sytrus needed to make a particular sound.

If you have to buy a new version, I'd also suggest the producer version, but it depends on the kind of music you want to make. If you don't have a budget to get other/better synths (Native Instruments' FM 8 and Absynth are great), and want to make music using a lot of synths, XXL is probably the way to go. If you want to sequence jazz, orchestral, rock, or other styles not relying on synths very much, you'll want to spend money on samples or get free ones. I have XXL and don't use a lot of the extra synths included in it.