Clean to distorted guitar

It's more or less possible with solid-state amps too... I think it more depends on the particular amp and it's settings than whether it's tube or not. Start with relatively low gain on your amp, and then turn it up bit by bit while seeing how low you have to turn the guitar's volume knob to clean it up. Playing softly helps keep the sound cleaner, too. If you can't do it, you might just not have the gear for it, rather than be doing something wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

It is possible to do that. It sounds a bit distorted still but when you turn the volume pot down on your guitar, it slowly cuts out the sound (like one of those lights you can vary the light)

you're thinking "duh, i know that" but if you think about it, it's slowly cutting the signal down, and eventually you get nothing. This applies to the distortion as well, as when you turn down the volume, the distortion goes down but clean still comes out slightly moreso than the distortion. hence you can turn the knob down and still get a clan sound (mind you, itll still be a bit distorted)

Hope I don't sound like a rambling moron :)

• 2 weeks later...

You definitely don't need a tube amplifier to achieve that effect. Even a cheap distortion pedal / distortion channel amplifier can do that... I have a lot of distortion pedals and multieffect boards which all pull this off just fine. Just be aware that the higher the pre-gain on the distortion channel, the lower your guitar output volume will have to be. So, low gain means better control but less max gain for instance.

You definitely don't need a tube amplifier to achieve that effect. Even a cheap distortion pedal / distortion channel amplifier can do that... I have a lot of distortion pedals and multieffect boards which all pull this off just fine. Just be aware that the higher the pre-gain on the distortion channel, the lower your guitar output volume will have to be. So, low gain means better control but less max gain for instance.

Yea.. but it's so fun doing that with tube amps. A good tube amp will respond to your picking dynamics extremely well.. turn the volume knob down and play softly for a cleaner tone, but dig in deep and you still get the good creamy dirt!