Motorcycle.

linkspast

Make sure you get a used bike since most people that ride have at least one accident. There's no sense in buying a brand new bike just to wreck or scratch it and ruin its resale value.

Also, if this is your first bike, you might want to start off with a smaller engine size. Something between a 400 and 500 cc might be a little easier to learn on. A 1000 cc bike might be a little too heavy to learn on and a 600 cc bike might be too fast.

Oh, and I know bikers and leather is kind of cliche, but if you do go down, you'll regret not having worn leather.

Interesting info, z7e1r3o. I've been wanting one myself, especially with gas getting more and more expensive.

Do you (or anyone else) have any other advice, like on what I expect to pay? I'm not familiar with how well a motorcycle holds its value.

I might look into a dual sport bike (a street legal dirt bike), for a first motorcycle. They're lighter than a Harley or another cruiser, more nimble, usually cheaper, and very durable (they are meant to also go off-road, after all).

Plus, you can easily take it off-road onto trails and such, so you can double your fun.

Maybe look for a used one in good condition for a starter.

I might look into a dual sport bike (a street legal dirt bike), for a first motorcycle.

That is a great point, if you don't expect to be doing any interstate travel (which you shouldn't if you are just learning anyway), a street legal dirt bike will get you around just as well as any other bike. In fact, I've been thinking about getting one for a while.

Like I said though, interstate travel is a no-no on lighter bikes. If you attempt traveling on the interstate a with lighter bike, there is a good chance you'll end up in the ditch the first time a semi truck passes you. I would say that you at least need a 600 cc bike for interstate travel.

Do you (or anyone else) have any other advice, like on what I expect to pay?

A lot of what you pay depends on the make, engine size, year, mileage, and whether or not there is any damage (no surprises there, right?). I think a reasonable range for someone's first bike is between $1000-$5000. And really, even $5000 might be a bit too much for a first bike. Unfortunately, this is probably one of the worst times of year to buy a bike since a lot of people are doing the same thing.

And by the way, I am by no means an expert on this sort of thing. I have two buddies that are starting to race competitively, and I am frequently humbled by how much they know with respect to motorcycles.