how are seperate channels assigned to diferent octaves of midi keyboard?

or is this not possible....im looking at a live rock band situation and would be nice if could assign something to buttons or dials on midi keyboard to change channels within a pattern..

directwave is o.k, but would prefer to swap between channels.....

any thoughts??????

My Ensoniq ESQ-1 has a mysterious effect on FruityLoops. The patch selector buttons will select different channels in the step sequencer. I honestly have no idea why it does this, or how it was somehow automatically mapped to, but it's going through my MIDI cable so it must be a MIDI thing. It's not a definite switcher though, so the channel selection is usually random.

Since you want to trigger different patterns, you might want to switch to Ableton Live, which by reputation so far is excellent for live loops playback. I believe both Niyaz and Xerxes use Live, as well as some other doods.

My Ensoniq ESQ-1 has a mysterious effect on FruityLoops. The patch selector buttons will select different channels in the step sequencer. I honestly have no idea why it does this, or how it was somehow automatically mapped to, but it's going through my MIDI cable so it must be a MIDI thing. It's not a definite switcher though, so the channel selection is usually random.

My keyboard does this too. It's probably a FL thing. Whenever I press the patch up/patch down buttons on my keyboard, rather than switch patches in whatever channel I have selected, it goes through the channels in the step sequencer. Kinda annoying really. :/

Hm...the title of this thread is a different question than the one in his post.

To answer the title question: create a layer channel, set the channels you want as its children, and assign each one to a different range on the keyboard.

There's a video about that and other layer stuff here:

It's long though, and IIRC the part about splitting the keyboard of a layer channel is towards the middle or end.

No idea what the MIDI CC to change channels is though (if FL has one set by default?). If you have the step sequencer selected you could just hit the up and down arrows on your computer keyboard to change channels...

• 1 month later...

To answer the title question: create a layer channel, set the channels you want as its children, and assign each one to a different range on the keyboard.

There's a video about that and other layer stuff here:

It's long though, and IIRC the part about splitting the keyboard of a layer channel is towards the middle or end.

thanks leah, brilliant video.......was right under my nose all along..........its all on now...