Star Control 2 Ur-Quarn theme... take two.

Splunkle

Okay, last time I tried this, the judges didn't like it. Listening to it now, it rather understandable. Anyways, so once I had a bit of distance to understand what I gaffed up, I decided to give it another go, this time bringing more of what I learnt about percussion from other projects. So lots and lots of changes. Its hardly the same remix, actually. ^_^

Linky here.

I'm still not entirely happy with it, but I'm happy enough to throw this out here so you guys can yell at me to fix my mistakes. So... Yell away!

I actually think an organ with some delay would go much better than the opening synth. Or layer an organ in with it.

Snare overshadows the melody. The melody as is is also too soft in comparison to the soundscape. I'd say turn down the snare and layer it with a brighter brush type snare. Also get another percworking with the snare. Throw a lil reverb on the snare to give it a distant feel.

Def like the new breakdown...it's friggin sweet. Structure wise the breakdown carries on a lil too long. Although the ending doesn't feel like an ending. I'd say go for a big climatic ending with the melody trailing out on a higher octave.

Overall this has some really good ideas, and everything feels more in sync than the last version. Stucture wise I'd say it's off a lil bit. I love that breakdown in the middle. Def improvements in percussions and overall sound quality. Good to see you back working on this one. :)

Disclaimer: I'm not familiar with the source tune (or the previous version, in this case).

Thoughts:

The introduction is pretty bland. I like the organ arrangement I'd look into some samples with more depth; this one sounds lifeless.

When the drums came in I got ready for a hard-ass breakbeat mix but it never happened. That snare REALLY needs more "snap." No crashes used at all? Put some in there! :)

I think that's clipping or (unintended?) distortion around 1:01? And hm, only about 30 seconds worth of beats before they drop? I'd fill that part up some more.

These bell synths/whatever around 1:50 might sound pretty cool with some hard panning. I'd definitely raise their presence in the mix and increase the focus on them. The section that starts at 3:00 is very cool. Nicely done! But it dies out much too quickly :( There we go, the organ that comes in next has much more life to it. I take it the ending's not done ;)

Please compress this! The entire song is way too quiet and could really benefit from a giant volume boost.

Hope that helps!

• 1 month later...

Thank you muchly for your thoughts, Avaris and Richter! I return with an update, though it kinda took forever. Shouldn't have spent so long futzing around with the ending. Anyways, here's some of whats changed:

- Added some delay to the intro organ, which is the same as the end organ by the way. Not that it is at teh end anymore, as I

- Removed the organ from the end. I played with the ending a lot, to try and make it more excited, but didn't really get anything I liked, so I've kinda left it out for now.

- Added (lots of) Cymbals for the second chorus. yaye!

- Added a huge 6/4 build. I may have been listening to way too much explosions in the sky when I added this - yell at me if it works/doesn't work.

- Few mastering touchups. Still not super-compressed though. Might work on that next release.

Hope you guys like it!

Linky.

• 2 weeks later...

Try levels vary up the velocity on the intro organ it feels a lil stale. You might wnaa use strings playing the sustained notes and then have the organ do some arpeggios.

!;34 the whole kinda dropped off. The whole feel of the song changed. IMO at 1:34 into the rest of the song would make for a kick ass intro. Then use some tremelo strings once the freaky ass melody comes in.

Between 1:34 and the big breakout around 3:45 try to in. Maybe instead introduce the section from 1:00 at 3:45, and have the section that was at 3:45 come after it. Then after that section has played introduce the big breakout 3:45. I think this would solidify your arrangement.

If you're gonna move sections around IMO it'd be a really great idea to introduce some of the elements from your intro into the wierd ass section at 2:31.

As is the section at 2:31 needs more to it. The instrument playing the lead lacks the character to play the lead, therefore the listener might loose .

Your rhythms have gotten alot better since last summer. Overall the mastering sounds like it could use your work. In the main sections I can barely hear the snare/hats. With all this ambience try some more drastic panning.

It's getting there dude.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've listened to the piece for the gazillionith time and I think you are right Avaris - this needs some big huge structure changes. On the other hand, with the old intro gone, it means the last part of the old submission to the judges is gone too! It also means I don't have to futz around with that organ - the thing about church organs is that they aren't velocity sensitive, so making them sound like they are being played by a human is quite tricky. Mastering is going to have to wait until I get some new headphones, as my old ones broke. =( Still, I'll see what arrangement changes I can swing with my speakers.

Thanks again muchly for the advice, Avaris - as always it a huge help. ^_^

• 6 months later...