*NO* Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo 'Blood on the Asphalt'

Liontamer

Contact info:

Remixer Name: Aetherius

e-mail: hatebunny@gmail.com

userid: 13 (does that mean I was 13th to sign up?)

Remix Info:

Game: Super Street Fighter 2

Song: Guile End

This mix has been through about 11 other incarnations, the last 6 or so of which were just minor changes, but here's my submission of my guile's ending remix from the SSF2T remix project: "Blood on the Asphalt." My original title was "Blood on the Asphalt," as Shael Riley had some kind of crazy love for my song, and wanted it to have the title track.

Anyhoo...I haven't got a new name for it.

I made it with Fruityloops 4, mostly. Lots of screwing arround in Cool Edit. If you've heard the version on the SSF2T project, you probably won't notice any difference between the version here and that one.

I've removed a lot of clutter though. Cleaned up the drums, remastered the vocal (several times, none have satisfied me), and adjusted volumes all around.

As far as the content goes: it's dreamy, I suppose. It's meant as a kind of posthumous message to Guile from his recently deceased partner Nash (aka Charlie, but Nash is a cooler name). It's a kind of realization of his own death, and a plea to guile to give up the fight, and stay alive. The lyrics prompted Shael to add the phrase "purple prose" into his own version of the song. Sorry folks. I'm a pretty average singer...

(this got a little wordy...) in sum: "blood on the asphalt," remix of guile's ending from Super Street Fighter 2, and I'm Aetherius.

If you've heard the version on the SSF2T project, you probably won't notice any difference between the version here and that one.
That's the thing. Is there any reason to post this when there isn't really any difference between this and the project version? I don't believe that there is any benefit.

NO

Edit: Liontamer was right in correcting me here, there is no reason for this not to be posted. I therefore amend my vote.

YES

That's the thing. Is there any reason to post this when there isn't really any difference between this and the project version? I don't believe that there is any benefit.

Using this same reasoning, if any project mix was already a passable arrangement according to the standards, then would you NO it simply because it had been minorly tweaked since then before being submitted? That doesn't make any sense. Gotta qualify the vote with something more about how the production and/or arrangement doesn't cut it.

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ssf2 - "Guile's Ending" (ssf2-31.spc)

Interesting opening. A bit lo-fi. Pads and xylo/vibe/marimba-ish whatever are derived from the backing parts of the source. Vocals are notably rough and a bit too exposed, but aren't bad; kind of Moby-ish. Instrumentation picks up at :42 with some piano activity, liberally arranging the source tune, though I'd argue too liberally to be acceptable. I liked the subtle bassline there at :53. The overall texture until 1:13 doesn't quite work for me, but it's venturing on personal taste. Chorus from 1:14-1:46 is really cool from an interpretive standpoint. Rab went back into :32's previous verse structure at 1:46, then another chorus from 2:29-3:01.

Goes into some Billy Joel/"In the Middle of the Night"-inspired vocals from 3:01-3:43. Kinda dragged on, and the delivery was noticeably weaker than the more slowly-paced stuff. He changed the drumkit there from the project version, and to me it definitely doesn't fit the rest of the instrumentation well. The other sounds were very well chosen, IMO, so the drums sounding so out of place was disappointing, especially given how well the previous choices worked for Starky.

The vocals delivery could be tightened up for the Billy Joel part, and the beefier percussion could be reworked into something that fits better with the texture. What kills this off though it that the arrangement seems fairly liberal aside from the chorus being instantly recognizable, and that's my main problem with the track, much like Shael's own take on the theme where he used the source as a countermelody and went off into very original that wasn't directly derived from the Guile Ending theme. Needs a lot more recognizable and overt usage of the source material. It's tough, because the source is short, but more has been done with less. Good track otherwise, definitely something different with a pretty pleasing soundscape.

NO

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very Moby indeed. I liked this track on the project, and I still do, but the vocals do bring it down. Your pitch is fine, actually, but there's this sort of wavering quality to the voice that (despite the heavy processing) hasn't been effectively masked. Also, the section at 3:05 is mixed differently, and it stands out like a sore thumb.

In general, I just don't know if the way you've mixed in the vocals works. They sound really lazy and low-energy, and not because of the melody itself. In fact, they're pretty much unintelligible. Maybe you could try actually vocoding them, a la Moby or Cher, so that the delivery is smoother and more electronic.

Good work- just needs a bit more polish!

NO PLEASE RESUBMIT

I agree with many of the above comments on the vocals. They are not very strong, but with vocoding and perhaps a bit more reverb/delay and selective EQ, I think they could definitely work. Maybe layer the vocoded track with what you have here. As is, they really are hard to understand, and very muddy. The instrumental is also sort of sparse and low volume overall. The drums sound like placeholders and don't add anything at all besides keeping time. I think for this style you'd be better off finding some sort of cool stylized drum sound.

I don't really have any big problem with the arrangement. I wouldn't object to more usage of the source but I do think the connection is there, between the actual usage of the riff/melody from the original and usage of the chord progression. It did seem to drag though, so cutting the repetition would probably help. Ending was too abrupt also. The bigger problem is still production & performance, I'd focus on those first.

NO