*NO* Metal Gear Solid 2 'Land of Our Fathers'

Liontamer

G'morning, to whoever ends up reading this. Thought I'd submit something...

CONTACT INFORMATION:-

Remixer Name: NashX

Email: nashx90@gmail.com

REMIX INFORMATION:-

Game Remixed: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty

Song Remixed: Metal Gear Solid Main Theme, of course :)

Comments:-

Made using Reason 3, Sonar 5, Audacity, and the irreplaceable Sibelius 4. This started off as something completely separate from a re-arrangement of anything already existing. The original idea was to create a military-esque piece, with the tune very much in the brass all the way through. The first minute or so, especially, has no definite links to MGS2, until the snare drum was added later.

At 1:02, the strings start to bring the orchestrated theme into the piece. 1:31 adds the actual theme to the piece.

Of course, the drums make the song, in the end ;). Added in Reason, with a neat array of effects all plugged in nicely, they started to pull the song into shape.

The rest speaks for itself, the theme making itself more and more dominant as the song goes on, but deviating once again at 2:44 to another original melody.

All written in Sibelius, plugged into Reason to add drums and some funky Combinator patches; then ReWired into Sonar to fiddle the tempo and export the lot.

Final edits, fade-in, fade-out and compression in Audacity, simply because it's lightning quick to load and export MP3s.

Thanks :); song is attached. Hope it's liked; happy judging!

Yours,

NashX

------------------------------------------------------------------

Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty Original Soundtrack - (01) "'Metal Gear Solid' Main Theme"

Opening brass sample is...alright, but noticeably fakey with the sequencing, plus the production on this entire track is awful. Once the brass comes in, the strings that you heard at the very intro become 99% buried in the back. The brass has some super muddying effects on it, leaving almost everything else inaudible the whole way.

Some overly simplistic (read: boring) beats joined in at 1:43. The over-the-top effects couldn't hide the fact that this was texturally very thin.

Sloppily shifted over into some bigger beats at 2:21 with another section of the source arriving at 2:28. Arrangement just chugged along with this inhuman-sounding brass and simplistic percussion the rest of the way.

Wish I could be more enthusiastic, but there are too many beginner-ish mistakes that negatively affect the listen. Just listening to this one on a decent pair of headphones should have made you aware that the sound quality was messed up.

On the arrangement side though, you at least had some melodic interpretation apparent, but some more sophisticated harmonies or added countermelodies would have helped. The drum writing, though at a faster tempo, was really timekeeping/placeholder-ish and didn't drive the track along at all with interesting patterns.

Decent beginner sub, but there's a lot more to be learned about refining your material. Camp out at the ReMixing and Works forums for help and feedback to get yourself started down that road if you haven't done so already.

NO

• 1 month later...

holy crap, I'm drowning! Someone throw me a rope so I can climb out of the reverb! Larry's right; those drums are awfully weak. The overall mix is skewed, maybe by all the 'verb. Some of the arrangement ideas are pretty good, but then you'll lift a segment straight from the original.

I've heard enough. You've got to drop the reverb and fix the mix, bring the harmony parts out, and you've got to fix the drums.

NO

• 1 month later...

Everything here sounds really lo-fi, to the point where there's literal distortion happening under headphones. The brass sample isn't half bad, but it's surrounding by really tinny snares and strings. Rock and roll percussion is a cool idea for this theme, and I like the way the arrangement picks up there, but the instrumentation is still thin in places. Needs more parts!

A couple quick points:

- At 2:23 the percussion gets really loud all of a sudden.

- At 3:18 something weird is happening transitionally, and the cymbal crash at the end burned my ear drums.

I think you're headed in the right direction, but it sounds like you could benefit from the WIP forums here on OCR. Production tips especially.

NO PLEASE RESUBMIT