Strings for a 5 string bass

AMT

Alright, I just bought a used one of these for $125, and it's going to need some new strings. I'm not entirely knowledgable on the topic, and I'd like some suggestions of what kind to buy. I'm mainly going to be playing metal/punk kind of stuff, so that should give an idea of the kind of sound that'd be ideal. Thanks!

Strings? Nigga what? Strings are the least of your worries when it comes to getting a sound you want, sheesh. With basses, you have two main options, roundwound or flatwound strings. Roundwound are like normal guitar strings, you know "bumpy" when you run your finger over them. Flatwound strings are wound with a flat string instead of a round one. This makes them smooth to the touch, they feel great to play. "SO WIE WOULD YOU EVER GET ROUND STRINGS LOL!" Well, flatwound strings can do some real damage to your fingerboard over time, and some people swear that they don't sound as punchy as round strings.

Other than that, it all comes down to the packaging you like best at Guitar Center... After you've tried a few other brands you can then form your own opinion, because nobody here can tell you which brand would feel best to you.

... flatwound strings can do some real damage to your fingerboard over time ...

More than round-wound? How so? My guess would have been that round-wound strings are more abrasive, but I don't use flat-wounds myself so I have no experience either way.

I thought the same thing, but it turns out that the edges around the winding split open slightly when you fret the string, kinda like how the string looks around the tuning peg (we're talking about flat wound here). That same saw-like edge happens ever so slightly when you fret, and over time it can do a fair bit of damage to the fretbaord wood, and the frets too.