Searching for a Sensei

Alright, look. I'm not a noob at this, alright? I'd like to make that clear right off the bat. I've been using FL for three years now. I have a pretty decent idea of how to work my way around the program, and a pretty good idea of how to make music.

However, I'm suffering from some mindset problems that are limiting my abilities. The things I hear in my head aren't coming down into the songs. I'm feeling more and more like I'm trying to speak my emotions into musical form and I just don't know the language. It's like I fall into some whirlpool that just sucks me down every time I get into the nitty-gritty.

So I'm coming here, looking for someone who has a pretty good idea at what they're doing in FL to teach me. Maybe this is bad form, maybe it's just a bad idea. But if anyone here would like to step up to the plate, feel free to contact me. I'm willing to put forth a ton of effort in order to improve my music. In particular, I'm looking to explore a lot of d'n'b, IDM, or glitch styles. But in general, I'd be more than happy to learn under anyone who's talented and willing to teach an avid student.

Anyways.

-Projekt

You can call me Miyagi.

I don't think this is an FL problem, just that you don't "understand" music yet. If you have no understanding of the instrument you're using, you can't exactly express yourself through it. Kind of like speaking Russian with a tourist dictionary. The best way to let your emotions show through your music is to learn an instrument. Since you want to focus on dnb/jungle/idm, I think I'll suggest that you study the drums, and dabble a little bit in piano so you at least have some kind of melody. This should be very important down the road, with a little experience you'll be able to express yourself more clearly.

Your hero is now

, though I can teach you anything you'd need to know about FL Studio.

I'm looking to explore a lot of d'n'b, IDM, or glitch styles.

^_________________________________^

While FL on it's own isn't really a bad start to make these genre, I'd recommend expanding your library. Effects, effects, effects. As soc said, play with drums. Make simple beats, then manipulate these beats. Break rules. Play with the granulizer, slicer, sampler.

I wouldn't have an idea in your head when it comes to these genres. It's much easier to make a sound by mistake, then it is to create one (especially if you're a beginner).