*NO* Doom 'Unbridled Nightmares'

Liontamer

Hello...

I am giving it another go. Remixing and submitting to OCR again that is. I previously sent in an FF7 remix that was horribly done and use the name Black_Marauder. I have since then started using a different name and feel better about what I do now. So here goes!!

FlatEq is the new name. My site: http://kylekoch012186.googlepages.com. My song of choice for this month was Doom, Episode 2, Mission 8. I have played doom since I was 8. Its once of those legacies that has been around for a long time and will continue to be around for a very long time, IMHO. I gave an honest effort to this one. Considering I have no professional background, and very little experience compared to all of the wonderful remixers here at OCR. I worried that it still wouldn't be good enough for submission, but I then decided that it would be up to you guys to determin that.

Song Info:

Remixer: FlatEq

Game: Doom, Episode 2, Mission/Map 8

Original Artist: Bobby Prince

File Link:

Peace,

Kyle (FlatEq) Koch

---------------------------------------

http://www.doom2.net/~doomdepot/musi...02%20midis.zip - Doom: E2M8

Interesting beginning. I definitely recognize that drumloop at 1:18 as one of the FL defaults. Probably another drumloop at 1:59 there. :lol: Nah, no good, yo. I understand you gotta walk before you can run, but tacked on drumloops don't get the job done.

The production is half-decent in that the soundscape is spacious and filled out decently by the otherwise sparse writing and textures here. Needs a lot more to adequately flesh this out on the production side.

Arrangement is carried by the excellent source tune. Once you hear the pattern from :37-:44, you've basically heard the entire mix, only the background changes up every so often. In other words, the arrangement is vastly underdeveloped. It's worth noting that there's also a really basic grasp of dynamics here, but that's better than nothing. In any case, the intro had some potential, but once you got into the meat of things, it was obvious the arrangement didn't have too much to say.

Use the ReMixing and Works forums hear to both learn more about making music and post your stuff for other people to provide feedback on.

NO

Sounds are quite thin through a rather empty mix. While the fluctuating frequency on the lead synth sounds nice. You really need to build this sort of electronic remix up to something more complex and daring or it just sounds blande and beginnerish. I don't recognise the drumloop as easily as Larry, It doesn't work as a loop, but if you beefed up the set and gave it a proper drum arrangement, it'd sound all right for this type of mix.

Either way, not enough work. As Larry said, it's generally the same thing over and over with the background changing from time to time.

NO

haha, I used to love to pound out this theme on the piano back at my parents' house back in the day. Waay back in the day. Anyway.

Pretty amateur work all across the board here. Good attempt, Larry's right in that we do gotta walk before we run, and I think you still could learn a lot in the ways of FL. There's nothing wrong with using preset loops, but you have to put some work in too. You can't just paste them in there, and be done with it--that's just being lazy. You've gotta slice the hell out of it, layer it with other beats/loops, and process it. Add your own touches. Don't just settle for "what's there". You'll be way better off, and way more skillful in the long run. (This is seriously good advice to take to heart).

Same thing applies to the instruments and synths. Process the hell out of them. Don't just click in the notes in the piano roll--throw some crazy FX in there. You gotta get that CPU moniter up to 97%, bro! (I really hope to see the previous line quoted in someone's signature)

At any rate, I'd suggest that you make and take some opportunities to collaborate with some more avid FL users. You'll learn a lot to see how "other people" do things. And you can apply the tricks you learn from them to make your own tracks better and more creative.

Good luck with your future projects.

NO