Advance Wars: Dual Strike - Midnight Skirmish

I think you have good dynamic contrast between sections, and the mix definitely has a lot of energy. I cant comment much on the arrangement aspect, since Im unfamiliar with the source....you would benefit from a crisper, cleaner piano sample though....also in some of the heavier areas the sounds get a bit piercing to me....

The original:

click here to download 00-green-earth.mp3

Bam. I'm a helpful fellow, I am. Now then, the vibraphone solo at :42 is a good thing. The fake choir sound that comes and goes is a bad thing.

The lead at :54 is too mechanical and sticks out more than it probably should as a result. The switch to slower sections like at 1:06 is bit jerky, but I think that problem will disappear once the lead is humanized.

I'd like to see you throw a flanger or phaser on that choir. Might be interesting...

• 6 months later...

Can't comment on the arrangement, but it sounds pretty good so far. I really like your use of piano, it would be nice if it wasn't always so isolated though. Maybe after the break at 1:05 have it keep playing? I don't know. Seems like the more synth heavy parts of the mix could use something like that. Not sure about the vibes, they seem to clash with everything else when they're so exposed like that.The second half sounds like nearly an exact repeat of the first half, so it might help to introduce a new idea the second time around. I think the bass could be louder as well.

Hey Theory, thanks for the PM.

So I really like the direction this goes in; I enjoy the fast paced movement of the piece. I'm a fan of breakbeat too so this fits right in with me. My qualms come mostly with sound quality in some areas and in humanization. At the beginning, the synth that isn't the square, don't really know what to call it, sounds pretty mechanized. I'd say the same for the organ at 1:35 and the lead that follows it. Don't get me wrong, I love what you did with these instruments, but at the same time they come off as very rigid, in some parts due to the homogenaity of the velocity; just like in real life, you can't hit an organ note exactly as hard as you did the last time consistently, so it sounds unrealistic.

Pluses are that the composition is great. I love the chorus humming in the back, love the drums, love the creativity in the leads. The problem is how it sounds inhuman during a lot of it. Personally I find this forgiveable, but the judges here I'm not so sure about. Anyhow, I'm being longwinded, really good job with this piece! Good luck with submission and I hope it passes!

• 2 weeks later...

i'm really diggin this, man. i'd say that i don't like the lead that comes in before and after the vibes - it's a little too nasally for my tastes.

when the vibes play, there's hardly anything else going on. there needs to be something carrying the harmonic material in the back. it's too empty.

that choir in the back is terrible. use something else. a standard pad would be good.

yeah, love the organ. that's cool.

the whole mix sounds confused. there isn't anything that persists for more than fifteen seconds than the beats and that synth that i don't like. i'd like to hear more than eight-bar phrases once and a while. it's just so strictly "8 bars then lets do something else i'm bored" that it doesn't give us a sound to focus on, and that's bad.

this is a cool mix, but it needs to sound more like one cohesive unit and less like a bunch of cool midis thrown together. keep working on it.