Remixer Name- (Adventus}

Real Name- Scott Schwaab

Email address- Herrschwaby@hotmail.com

Website- www.myspace.com/ddrschwaby

User ID- http://www.ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=20553

REMIX INFO

Name of Game Remixed- Final Fantasy VII

Individual song- Those Who Fight

Additional Info- Composer (Nobuo Uematsu)

Name of ReMix- Those Who Dance Harder

How it was made- Around April, me and my friends were listening to the Final Fantasy VII soundtrack, and I suddenly wanted to make a Trance Remix of the Battle Theme. This would be my first official ReMix. I hope that you guys enjoy it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 110 "Fighting"

Honestly, if the sound quality itself had been poor, this would have been instantly rejected. Having a clean sound is the only reason it's up here.

The sounds are extremely cookie cutter and the textures have little complexity to them. Even the original's textures are more sophisticated in comparison. The buildup is entirely too long for such a relatively short track. For a trance mix that isn't even 4 minutes long, this is a vastly undeveloped arrangement. Beyond the genre adaptation to trance, the arrangement's very uninterpretive, sticking to the melodic structure of the original pretty wholesale.

You've got a base, but this is very far from fleshed out. A first effort that shows you grasp some basics of music construction, you simply need to continue learning in order to fashion more creative sounds & textures and more involved, developed interpretation of your source tune. Use the ReMixing and Works-in-Progress forums to learn more about making electronic music and obtain feedback before submitting in the future.

NO

• 1 month later...

Sounds like you're just learning how to use your music program of choice. The production isn't bad, but that is probably largely due to the fact that there isn't much to produce at this point. Texture is very thin, and arrangement straightforward to the point where it's actually a simplification of the source tune. We have pretty high standards when it comes to reinterpretation (as well production). As Larry said, just take your time to familiarize yourself with the bar here, and keep learning and experimenting.

NO

You know... from personal experience, I know this is a tough source tune to mix. It's hard to take away from the rhythmic excitement that it has - all the syncopation, dramatic build, etc. Unfortunately, with this mix, most of that was lost. By 1:30 of the mix, only a few seconds of the original has been used. That's a little long of an intro... it's not until 2:03 that another part of the source is actually used. I actually do like the counter-melody at 2:33, as well as the variation of the main riff at the beginning and the end. Now try incorporating that kind of thing throughout the mix. More interpretation, more EXPANSION on the source should be your goal. Most of what you have is basically a simplification of how the original was arranged - more repetition, less rhythmic interplay between the different parts, and a texture converted from mostly orchestra to all synths.

The production isn't too bad, though I do recognize a lot of the sounds & presets being used here. You might use less detuned, gated, and arpeggiated sounds and try integrating some acoustic stuff as well. Perhaps a breakbeat somewhere in there to break up the 4/4 club beat, a smooth lead to soar over everything else at some point? Either way, hit the remixing and WIP forums to help polish and refine what you have. A good effort - keep at it!

NO