*NO* Lord of the Sword 'Battle Theme'

Liontamer

I'll be honest, I just wanted some Lord of the Sword; Who's gonna stop me? You? - LT

Hello Judge’s Panel from OC ReMix. I’m sending you my remix from Lord Of The Sword (Battle Theme). I used mainly Triton Classic sounds – only the real drums are from a soundbank I have here. Mixed on Audition 2.0. There’s not much remix/midi/etc from this game, hope you like this one.

CONTACT INFO

ReMixer name: Cosmonal

Email: cosmonal@terra.com.br

REMIX INFO

Game Remixed: Lord Of The Sword

Song: Battle Theme

System: Sega Master System / Mark III

See you,

Cosmonal

----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.smspower.org/music/vgm/unapproved/Lord_of_the_Sword_update.zip - "Battling"

Decent intro, but it was downhill from there. The interplay between the sounds just isn't cohesive, especially once the drums come in. The timing between the instruments is out of synch, and everything's too mechanically sequenced. And once the drums arrived, the pattern looped over and over again, which was extremely boring to listen through.

A brief glimmer of something fuller showed up at 1:17 but was over by 1:24, replaced by even more empty space. Same tease of fuller textures at 3:10 for the close. The strings first used at 1:30 were extremely mechanical. The changes in the dynamics at 1:24 and 2:20 were good ideas conceptually, but the textures were so spartan that the track merely sounded boring still.

There were some minor expansive ideas as well as observable dynamic shifts, but the overall arrangement was too straightforward and not helped by the very simplistic and sparse textures. Needs more complexity, tighter timing, more interpretation and expansion. This is only a work-in-progress at this level, keep working on it.

NO

• 2 months later...

There are timing issue galore in this piece. I really feel like this could be a groovy track, but every time I try to follow the beat, it's a few milliseconds off and messes up the flow. It needs some quantization to help out on that end.

Sound design is fairly boring; I'd like to hear some more effects and some processing in this piece; it would really help.

The arrangement isn't bad at all; it's got some nice development going on, but I think you need to take some more stylistic risks. It sounds an awful like an upgrade of the original; a good one, but an upgrade nonetheless. Make it more.

NO, but keep at it

Hmmm, "Battle Theme" is a pretty boring title. It's even more generic than the source title! Not that we judge remixes per that criterion, but I thought I'd point it out at least. :P

Shariq took the words right out of my mouth. This is basically an "upgrade" of the original. I think you've made a lot of great improvements, but it needs more personalization in terms of arrangement. Go for it! Just sing in the shower until you think of a few new things that could *expand* upon the source, as opposed to only filling it in. Know what I mean?

Production is so-so. A little bland, but there's nothing garishly wrong with your samples, so that's good. Try comparing under headphones the sound quality of your remix versus a couple of your favorite songs by professional artists. You'll see that it's a little lack-luster. More dynamic contrast, and definitely beefier drums could do the trick.

You're off to a good start!

NO RESUBMIT