Unnames Metroid Kraid Remix

ZKB

Maybe it's not OCR-worthy in terms of sample quality, but I think the arrangement is good enough. I like the bassline and the way you've broken up the familiar melody. My only real problem is the acoustic-guitary lead instrument, which sounds kinda General MIDI-ish. With a bit of an overhaul I think it'd be worth submitting.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but don't bother submitting this as of now, it's definitely no OCR quality yet.

- First and foremost, find decent samples, while the phasered pads and the bassline are decent, the lead-instrument just sounds way too bland and midi-ish to hold my interest for the duration of the song. Same thing for the snare.

- You're basically conforming yourself to a very limited soundspectrum, as you have next to no low-end things going on. Even the mere addition of a kick-drum would fix a lot. Maybe layering the bass-like-thingy with a nice sub-bass patch would make it stand out a lot more, and fill up the empty soundscape.

- You need variation to hold a listener's attention. Apart from maybe two short parts, the whole melody and rhythm keeps repeating itself. Try adding more melodic context, countermelodies, more pads, change the drum rhythm, the lead instrument, add arpeggio's, in short: be creative.

- Utilize your effects rack, that's what it's for. Even the mere adding of some reverb here and there would fill up a lot of the empty space you currently have.

- Decide what direction you're taking with your mix; Ambient? Add a lot more pads, delay, weird effects, slow down the tempo, throw the drums out of the window. Techno? Up the tempo, add rhythmic context, pumping bass. Your mix is currently floating sort of in between, it is absolutely critical you have a good idea of how you want your mix to sound, and try to work up to it.

Hope my (lengthy) advice was sort of useful to you, anyway, good luck mixing :)

Well, I was in Fruity Loops changing things around alittle. I changed some of the pad lead around, so it sounds sorta sad IMO. I also changed the main lead instrument to a cool little string pluck/pad fusion I found in my sample library. I'm also redoing the entire drum track, but I might just leave it out in the end. Oh, and I copied the bass track, exept I transposed this one an octave higher, then panned it alittle to the left. The other bass track that plays the original lower octave I had is panned to the right. This sound any better or worse? Should I have left it the way it was?

http://media.putfile.com/Kraid-improved

Okay, I'd say this is a bit better, but still, a lot of my previous criticism remains. A good idea would be to add a LOT more of pads, because I definitely like the phasered-pad-thingy, and this would add SO MUCH more of your own input to the mix.

Also, you might want to consider to have some kind of longer intro, and not have the bassline already playing from the start, maybe instead of it just have a few weird noises at the start, and then slowly fade-in the lead instrument, and after some time put the bass in. I would also love to hear some kind of really low-frequency pad, to create a very ominous hum, since that would fit this mix perfectly.

Since I'm going for a more ambient style for this mix, I slowed down the tempo. It diddn't sound very good, it was way too boring. Oh, and good news for you, I guess. I'm taking your advice for a low-pitched pad. Working on chords for it right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...