*NO* Final Fantasy 10 'The Dream Isn't Over Yet'

Liontamer

Remixer Name: Philemon

Email Address: maj_garou@hotmail.com or lashiens@gmail.com

Name of game remixed: Final Fantasy X

Name of Individual Song remixed: In Zanarkand

The song was originally created as a birthday present for a friend back in 2004, who loved Final Fantasy X very much. I couldn't afford a birthday present for her at the time, so instead I stayed up 24 hours working on a remix that I thought she would like. This is the result of that. The total remix was created using Acid Music 3.0, and MTV Music Generator for PC, as well as MTV Music Generator 2 for Playstation 2.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure where your signals got crossed, but you don't even have the source tune right. Luckily, I'm a big fan of the soundtrack.

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FFX_psf2.rar - (119) "The Sight of Spira"

Everything sounded noticeably lossy in terms of the sound quality. Interesting enough opening. The phrasing at :17 was messed up. I initially liked the instrument changes involved here with the intro, though the beats that came in later weren't very strong and the textures were actually pretty empty. The melodic and countermelodic parts were way too quiet, dominated by the bland percussion patterns. The texture of acoustic and electronic percussion together from 1:03-1:24 sounded poorly conceived; the elements there didn't mesh well and the scattered cymbal shots were extremely tacky and out of place.

The sustained strings had some overly slow attacks and the note sustains tended to last too long to sound realistic, though you had a decent pad-like sound to them. The woodwind from 2:33-2:44 was very rigidly sequenced and sounded robotic.

By 2:54, I was tried of the same beat patterns returning after dropping out. You need more variation to your patterns beyond adding and subtracting them from different sections. The sheer repetition just drags over time. Vary the beat patterns more to keep things fresh.

Good idea though at 3:34 in terms of very gradually fading the beats out and then adding whatever that was at 3:44 to bolster the lead; you shouldn't have dropped that one part out so early at 3:54, but kept running with it longer. Still, a good idea to transition over into an ending without the beats and with different instruments to provide contrast during the finish. There's 14 seconds of silence at the end of the file that needs to be removed, BTW.

In short, this needs better balancing/mixing of the parts, more complex textures to fill out the soundfield, more realism in the sequencing of the more organic parts, stronger dynamic contrast and variation in the development of the arrangement.

EDIT (7/2): The submitting artist sent in a new copy pulling back the bass. The only result now though is that the beatwork has no meat on it and the melodic and countermelodic parts are still too quiet.

NO

• 1 month later...

Those canned beats are really killing this track. There's no balance. Did you learn nothing from Mr. Miyagi?! WHOLE LIFE MUST HAVE BALANCE.

Seriously, the beats are way too loud and the rest of the song is way too similar to the original. You gotta actually arrange the piece and make it more than just the song with some beats.

Anyway, I'm giving this a NO, but I hope your friend liked the song and had a happy birthday.