OCR00772 - Final Fantasy VI "Phantom Midnight"

orkybash

• 3 months later...

Wow, beautiful and haunting intro. I think that was the most effective part of the piece. It's a capable solo piano piece, not for it's technical merit, but for the mood it creates. He's very delicate with some of the velocities, which is why it's so effective I think. I was very surprised how short the song was. I was expecting a dramatic B section that brings out the second half of the original OST, but it never came. I'm not even sure if the second half of the song is covered here? Sounds like a big missed opportunity for more development and material beyond what is here. Ending was ok, though the fadeout felt like a bit of a cop out. Still, it's emotive and well done.

• 1 year later...

For probably 7 years this little piece of music has been with me. I don't remember how I got it or where I got it from. It was burned onto a CD at one point and that's when I lost the title and the name of the artist. I played that CD ad nauseum. When I got a new computer, this was the only song from that CD that I transferred. Since then I've held onto it dearly, transferring it onto my new computer when the old one bit the dust. Over the years I've played this song easily 10,000 times - and it never gets old. After I lost the information for it I called it "Melancholy Piano", artist - "?" Every time I'm feeling lonely or lost or down, this is the song that knows how to sing to my soul. Call me cheesy if you want to, I'm just trying to put into words how much this piece of music has come to mean to me. It's simple. It's beautiful. It has a staying power that goes far beyond the original. It captures a mood perfectly. This is music that has shaped me. I finally downloaded Tunatic and re-identified the song. Bringing me here. Thank you mp.

• 2 months later...

All this missing is some rain sound effects in the background. :)

I can just imagine this being played as the incidental music as some film is panning and showing different parts of some ruined castle somewhere.

The mood just matches perfectly: calm, antiquated, forgotten, contemplative. As such this is one of my favorite Final Fantasy 6 mixes hands down and on my playlist that I listen to as I go to sleep.

• 11 months later...

Surprised I never commented on this. The quality's only a little bit dated in the big scheme of things, but this was still a beautiful piece that I'd love to hear performed on a live piano. Great haunting stuff from Matt that had subtle, but excellent dynamics and showed off his range when viewed alongside his other mixes. A old favorite of mine.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00772 - Final Fantasy VI "Phantom Midnight"