* OA

* Andrew Luers

* andrewluers@gmail.com

* oceansend.com

[ edit]

ReMix Info

* Final Fantasy 6

* Overture (disk 2 track 7)

* Originally part of a planned and abandoned "mini project" where we were going to remix the entire opera scene, I changed it to a single solo mix when I heard that Zircon and Pixietricks were going to be remixing the aria. No way i'm going to:

1. Step on toes

2. Have my mix get pwned by theirs

Comments:

From the opera scene, the focus is on the conflict between Draco and Prince Ralse. Lyrics were planned and written, but they were way too cheesy, and I grew to love my horn section they were going to replace. Special thanks to my fantastic posse of critiquers, and extra special thanks to Tweek for help with the finishing touches.

Here's the timeline of what is happening in the mix:

0:01 Intro

0:42 Draco at war

1:33 Prince Ralse sacks Maria's castle

1:58 Draco's Return Journey

2:57 The Duel of Draco and Ralse

3:21 Fight to the death

4:14 Finale

Original:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tJbKFtFM2_M

ReMix:

:-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ff6 - "Overture (part 1)" (ff6-207a.spc) & "Aria de Mezzo Carattere" (ff6-208.spc)

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 120 "Still More Fighting"

The intro sounded pretty good, taken from :23 of part 1, though the brass was flimsy (including later on). Cool harp stuff at :19 building things up with the strings coming in, as well as some beats at :42. The beats sounded pretty lo-fi and far, FAR away. Not sure why that happened, but with that issue and the tone being weak, I felt things weren't clicking together.

Lots of balance issues that limited the energy of the writing and textures. From :44-on, the brass didn't stand out enough despite being the lead, and the electric guitar stuff wasn't audible enough. And no offense to Brian, but his mixing has been consistently too heavy with the lows, and that's definitely what's going on here. Makes the MP3 sound extra lossy. Do you guys hate treble? :-P

Arrangement-wise, I like what you've got going here. The "Still More Fighting" cameo at 2:56-3:19 was a cool idea. But the production needs a kick in the ass. Nice work so far. Refurbish the production and send it on back.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

The intro sounds abrupt like the piano entrance has been cut off somehow. Piano sample itself also sounds pretty meh - definitely not an opera-quality instrument. ^_~ The trumpet caught me off guard there, but it's not too bad.

As soon as we hit 0:20-0:45, the soundscape is MUCH improved. Every sounds fuller when the harp and smooth strings enter. Love the way the percussion enters and the actual writing of that part, but the sample sounds thin and over compressed - makes my ears pop a little. D: Guitars are very fitting, but all the heavy sections like that could use another look mixing wise. I'm pretty sure the drums are the culprit.

I disagree that the brass doesn't stand out enough from 0:44 on. In fact, I think it's almost *too* present on some of the buzzier notes. When we get to 2:34 and the sample is more exposed, it sounds pretty choppy, which is unfortunately the case with almost all brass samples. If there's a way you could overlap the sequenced notes slightly so they sound a little more legato, that'd probably help.

Wicked ending! Arrangement is brilliant overall. This will be an easy YES for me if you fix up that intro glitch, percussion and general production issues here and there. ^-^

NO PLEASE RESUBMIT!

Pretty kickass song. Nothing to add on top of Jill and Larry though, my man. Sounds like there's some over-compression issues throughout. Tweak your volume knobs here and there--that's definitely the hard part of the job, and there's not really an easy way to do it other than just keep tweaking and listening, and asking an unbiased 2nd opinion.

Pretty brilliant work otherwise. Great arrangement and all that good stuff.

Tweak this and resubmit it, or I shall personally see to it that The letters "O" and "A" be removed from the English language. Then you'll really be screwed...

:<

ON, TIMBUSER!