FF7 (On that day, 5 years ago) WIP

8/23 UPDATE: http://g-t.dew-owns-it.com/Sector_Slums10.mp3

I added a violin on top of lots of parts, changed a couple sections, added an entire new middle section and an ending. Didn't work on any EQing so it will still probably sound a little muddy. Comments please.

--------------------------------------------------

Hey all, been working on this for a few days. This is kind of a chill out piece, don't really know how else to describe it. I know the bassline is pretty repetitive at some points, and I'm going to be varying it up much more. I'm also going to humanize the drums more, as they sound too mechanical at the moment.

I will probably add in another instrument or 2 at a couple points to add more variation and buff up the soundfield. The end kind of trails off as of now, and I will be adding more to this later. The master volume might be a little low at the moment and the short piano riff might be slightly too loud (Easy fixes, but my compter isn't set up at the moment). Please give this a listen and let me know what you think so far.

Link: http://g-t.dew-owns-it.com/Sector_Slums6.mp3

(Thanks G-T for hosting)

I'm excited about this mix because it has great potential. It's kinda bland, but it has the makings of a great piece. I'd just suggest adding more weight to it, like shifts in the melody, some background, that sorta thing. I really hope you'll finish it and make it as best you can. It'd be a nice addition to my Final Fantasy VII Remix collection. =D

By the way, when I said bland, I didn't mean to imply that it isn't good. It's decent as it is, but it needs more.

This is actually pretty awesome. I really like the source and this expands pretty well on the original. It does sound a little bland here and there, nothing a few better samples wouldn't hurt. I'm assuming you haven't mastered this yet, since it is a little muddy.

As far as arrangement, harmony and the basic ideas though, its really great. The only problems i'd say you have are in production, which can easily be fixed. Keep going with it and it will be pretty awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

Drums are in dire need of processing, it really sounds like you've taken the samples straight out of the box and slapped them on a beat. I'm not really sure if the acoustic drum kit is appropriate for what you're aiming for, the patterns sound much more electronica than rock anyway.

The intro, and the soundscape in general is a bit empty, you might want to try adding some SFX (I can perfectly imagine having some whooshing wind-like sounds, or thunder, or whatever, just be creative =p), or layer in some fatter pads (or strings).

Anyway, I think the main offender here are the drums, who sound super-thin and too up-close, and arrangementwise are very iffy in terms of both patterns and fills. It'd be great if you could add some glitchy percussion/breakbeats rather than what you have now, since I can really see those working here, but if that's over your head, I think just coming up with a decent electronica beat would work well too.

I'm in agreement with the crew that this is way too vanilla in the sound department.

You've done some nice arrangement with the instruments, but the production needs to seriously be kicked up. You have lots of cool additional parts, but your stereo field is way too narrow on most of them. they sound like they are constrained into a bunch of seperate rooms rather than sharing one space.

Your samples are really generic, but expanding the field will help them out a good deal. I think you should do this before you try to EQ anything. Once you have a space where most of the stuff isn't so packed together you can worry about frequencies.

The percussion start and stop at the beginning is pretty cool in theory, but you have to make it sound like it's supposed to stop, rather than abruptly chopping. Add an open hihat sound to the last hit in the fill and it will make it sound way more planned.

The violin is pretty cool for the most part, but in the velocities in a lot of the notes are too similar, making it sound unrealistic.

This is a good start arrangementwise, but production has a long ways to go. Define your room sound a bit and we can start really digging into this. :-)