VSTs, SoundFonts and Patches

Hey all,

I'm trying to learn more about using VSTs and patches and, while I've found ones that I can use to replace my MIDI patches on my computer, I really dig a lot of the ones that are on my keyboard (she's a Korg Trinity LE, very shiny :))

Is there a way to assign the keyboard patches onto MIDI that is already written and on the computer? For example, if I rig up the keyboard to the computer with MIDI cables, can I assign... say... "String Ensemble 1" with "Stereo Strings" or "World Strings"? (for example). OR, say "Flute" with "SweetSilverFlute" or "Celtic Tin Whistle" so that I hear nice patches instead of uber-brutal-MIDI-flute?

Is that even possible, or would I have to record a wav/aiff track of me playing the part on the keyboard alongside the MIDI?

(does this question even make sense?)

Many thanks,

siven7

MIDI cables don't transmit audio, just note/velocity/misc. function data. You'll need an audio cable going into the line-in on your soundcard.

You can utilize the sounds from your keyboard onto your sequencer in a few ways:

-Sample the Trinity's patches separately and use them as one-shot samples

-play+record the whole tune or whole phrases alongside what you've sequenced so far.

-hook up all the midi and have the midi OUT data from your sequencer going to your Trinity. The Trinity should play the outgoing midi data back through your audio cable into your sequencer. I think. I've tried this with a few synths and it's complicated to set up properly :[

-hook up all the midi and have the midi OUT data from your sequencer going to your Trinity. The Trinity should play the outgoing midi data back through your audio cable into your sequencer. I think. I've tried this with a few synths and it's complicated to set up properly :[

Yeah, you may have to read manuals for your sequencer program and the Korg and maybe do some googling, but the basic idea is to run MIDI cable from the computer's MIDI-out to the Korg's MIDI-in. There will be, in the sequencer, some way of setting a MIDI track to broadcast to the Korg and trigger its samples. The sound will play back from whatever speaker you have the Korg hooked to. If you want to get the sound back inside the computer, as Overcoat said, you'll have to record the Korg's audio output.

Sorry if that didn't make a lot of sense; it can be a bit hard to explain without a hands-on tutorial kind of thing. This site may (or may not) help.