Best monitors for around $100?

AMT

I really don't think there's anything really good in that range. It's the equivalent of buying $20 headphones. Don't rely on them for really accurate work, but they're nice as a reference or casual listening. Assuming you don't just want to get a nicer pair of, say, Altec Lansing speakers w/ a sub...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VLS21/

This might be your best option.

A general rule is that you want to stay away from anything that has "Bass Enhancer" as one of the features. You're best off mixing on the most flat set of speakers you can find. And you need at least a 5" woofer to get somewhat accurate bass response, preferably 6" or 8".

Stick with headphones till you can afford something like KRK Rokits.

MDR7506.jpg

I wouldn't even waste $100 on monitors unless I was spending around a grand. These headphones have a detailed, flat response, and are fairly common studio ware. They'll run you about $99, and they're worth every penny.

$1000? That's totally unnecessary for an amateur home studio. There are many excellent options for $400-$600/pair. Too bad KRK discontinued their V series, those were incredible.

I've listened to so many monitors now. And in my amature opinon, though, I swear to you it's the truth, the only cheap monitors that I've seen work really good are krkrp5's, I havn't heard any monitors that are better than it untill you start hitting the $500-600 dollar range. and when you start hitting that price range is when you start considering room treatment so just stick with the rp5's untill you can afford anything that will be an equal improvement which is 1000$ monitors and room treatment, don't be redudant about things like monitors because they will waste your wallet fast!