Liontamer

Song Name: Twilight Dreams: Memories of the True Rune

Genre: Instrumental Easy

Remixers: Gyrick and Novalon

Game Origin: Suikoden II (with some elements from I) by Konami

Songs Used:

1.) Moonlit Night Theme (I & II)

(0:00 - 4:02) and (5:58 - 6:25)

2.) McDohl's Manor / Annalee's Lost Song (I / II)

(0:11 - 1:07), (1:44 - 2:40), (3:17 - 3:50)

3.) Heart Softening BGM 1 & 2 (II)

(1:44 - 2:07), (3:17 - 3:50) and (4:02 - 5:16)

4.) Nanami's Theme (Beautiful Morning) (II)

(3:17 - 3:50)

5.) Gremio's Theme (Tragic Version) (I)

(5:16 - 6:01)

File Information: (Obtained using Winamp)

Size: 6164480 bytes

Header found at: 2090 bytes

Length: 385 seconds (6min 25sec)

MPEG-1 layer 3

128kbit, approx. 14777 frames

44100Hz Joint Stereo

CRCs: Yes, Copyrighted: Yes

Original: Yes, Emphasis: None

New Remixers:

Gyrick

E-Mail: gyrick@gmail.com

Novalon

E-Mail: vanloone@gmail.com

Comments:

Gyrick: "Both Novalon and I had done a few remixes on our own, but had never submitted anything to any site. A few years ago, we decided that we'd work together to create a remix that would be worthy of posting on the internet. It didn't take us long to decide that we wanted to do a remix from the Suikoden series, not only because we like it, but we also felt it was under appreciated.

We chose to have the main theme of the remix be "Moonlit Night", mixed with various songs from the series we liked. As it turned out, we mostly used songs from Suikoden II (with the exceptions of McDohl's Manor and Gremio's Tragic Theme, but it turns out that McDohl's theme was also used in Suikoden II as the song that Annalee is supposed to sing but doesn't due to a programming error) (*phew*, that was a long aside).

This song took several months to complete, and it was edited for sound quality a few years later. We hope you enjoy our remix, "Twilight Dreams: Memories of the True Rune"

• 2 weeks later...

Samples in this song are in need of a major upgrade, especially those electric guitars at the end. The sustained strings are a bit too loud and have too much presence. The sequencing is very mechanical, especially in the sax. I'm pretty sure I know what sax sample that is, and you can sequence it a lot better.

There's a lot of high instruments in this song; it's really missing low-range and strong mid-range; the only thing really covering that is your sustained string section. Drums sound really weak.

The electic piano playing throughout ends up making the soundscape very crowded.

The arrangement was a bit aimless, and I felt that the inclusion of "Beautiful Morning" in particular was slapped in. I didn't feel like the chords really lined up properly for that insertion. Chords could have been adjusted, as well as killing the repetitive lead phrase to let Beautiful Morning's melody stand out; there's a reason the title of that song has the word "beautiful" in it.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not in a position to check out all of the sources like I usually do. If I have an opportunity to come back and add on that level, I will.

Yep, I hear ye olde DarkeSword sax! But yes, I agree with DS on many of the samples sounding poor and the sequencing being way too mechanical. The strings are indeed too bright and upfront compared to the lead, and there gaps in the frequency spectrum, with the only lows coming from those really quiet sustained strings as DS already noted. Texturally, there needs to be more going on to fill things out.

I read Shariq go "the drums were really weak" and went "wait, there are drums in here?" Yeah, they're in there really briefly from 3:18-3:39, but they're barely audible and don't contribute much.

Whoa, what was that at 4:47? Ugh, whatever it was sounded really piercing and just cluttered things up. Was really glad when it dropped out at 5:09. Better volume/presence on the percussion used at 5:37, but the sample sounded cheap and defaulty.

Decent ideas, but lots of room for improvement.

NO

• 2 weeks later...