*NO* Castlevania 2 & 3 'Roar! O, Mighty Vampire Killer!'

Liontamer

The MP3 was updated on 8/20; all links here are current, so please make sure you have the current version when voting - LT

Contact Info

Your ReMixer name: Tensei-San

Your real name: Joren de Bruin (can you please use my real name as the Artist name, that's what I've put down in the ID3 tags as well)

Your email address: ayato_kamina1@hotmail.com

Your website: None yet =)

Your userid: I couldn't find this, but my forum name is Tensei-San as well.

ReMix Info

Name of game(s) ReMixed: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest

Name of individual song(s) ReMixed: "Bloody Tears", with a short appearance of "Beginning" from Castlevania III

Name of Remix: Roar! O, Mighty Vampire Killer!

Link to Remix: http://www.tindeck.com/audio/files/nrsy-Bloody%20Tears%20OCremix.mp3

Comments:

Well, first to get this out of the way, yes, I know, I've ripped off the first few seconds of intro from an official arrangement that's not in any of the games, but on a separate soundtrack CD called 'Dracula Battle'. This is because in all those youtube video's and file sharing programs the arrangement I'm talking about is described as being from 'Symphony of the Night', so this is what I initially started remixing, but once I found out, I had to make a lot of adjustments to the arrangement. The intro just felt right, so I kept it there. I figured this wouldn't get shot down because really, it's only 2 bars long, and it's happened before

Enough with the excuses, this remix came to existence in two months, I liked the song and I just started writing, and what came out was pure arrangement gold (at least to me). The arranging went quickly and smoothly, but the production was such a bitch that I was almost ready to call this 'TheyBloodyBetterAcceptThis'. In the end, as you can see, I went with a name that was a bit less aggressive and more engrish-like, since after objectively listening to it, it reminded me a lot of Malice Mizer's work, who are, after all, japanese.

Luckily Avaris jumped in with the offer to do the much needed mixing & mastering, and did an amazing job of cleaning up the mud you get when you have a piano, strings, two rhythm guitars, a bass and a drum kit all playing at the same time, so that's why he gets my special thanks here.

It might be interesting to know the tools I used for the production; The entire arrangement has been mixed in Reason 3.0, using only Reason-included or free soundfonts, the guitars have been recorded through an M-audio Fasttrack into Guitar Rig 2 with a custom preset, mastering and final tweaking was done in Live by Avaris.

Anyway, I hope you like it, and in the case this gets rejected, could you keep the link to the mix in the post?

Tensei-San

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/castle~1.zip - Track 2

Not bad, just based off that intro. Strings fading in around :23 were ultra-mechanical though.

The drums didn't quite fit, and some of the piano writing in the back within :37-:44 sounded awkward. The guitar work sounds pretty decent, but some of the backing instrumentation sounded really flimsy. Everything from :29-1:20 sounded distant for whatever reason.

Synth solo from 1:20-1:37 was a good idea in terms of the writing, but the synth sound chosen was really lame. Good stuff with the harpsichord and bassline from 1:35-1:57. Machine gun drums from 1:50-1:58 sounded a bit awkward/out-of-place, but there was some really cool percussion sequencing from 2:05-2:23.

Not sure if the lead at 2:39 should have been that light, as well as the organ-ish dealie until 2:54. I'd have pushed them forward a bit.

If you can get the string work sounding less mechanical and adjust the sound balance so that the foreground elements are louder and more upfront, I'd feel more confident passing this. I'd take time in the long run to learn how to produce/master your own stuff, BTW.

There's lots to love here on the arrangement side, so you have an honest shot, Joren. Good luck with the rest of the vote though. If you continue at this level, I'm sure you'll be able to get something posted down the line. Just keep up the good fight by continuing forward with your development.

NO (rework/resubmit)

• 2 months later...

The mixing here is really weak. You NEED new monitors/headphones badly. The bass is practically inaudible. The guitars are ultra treble-heavy and incredibly thin. Tones are just really, really weak. The drum sequencing is good but the kit could definitely be better overall. In general, the mix is top heavy with, at times, a narrow stereo image. Too much panning of individual elements, not enough stereo effects (IMO) - gives it a lo-fi feel which is not pleasant. Guitar performance also could be tighter.

The arrangement and interpretation is definitely solid, though around 2:05 having those exposed passages for the piano/drums makes them sound very fake and bland. There are some spots where the chords don't mix well, throughout. I'd go through and double check your harmonies. :41-:42 is one spot. :44 immediately following as well. Not sure that new progression works.

Good ideas, but needs a lot more refinement, please resub.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

This is very cool stuff. I'd love to throw a YES on this track. The arrangement is pretty cool. Despite the fact that it is yet another metal arrangement of Bloody Tears, I was very happy with your interpretation overall.

Unfortunatly, at present, you do need to spend some time adjusting the mixdown. The drums are sequenced really well, and they have great energy, but are a little too quiet and far back. And though I might not have thought to analyze it that way, Andy's right about the panning/stereo. You could use more stereo FX rather than just panning individual channels wide. The EQ on the guitars seems a little thin as well. So yeah, basically, re-up the whole mastering job and send it on back up.

Some particular highlights for me were the breakdown at 1:36, the organ, and the particular attention you paid to the drumfills.

I do wish you'd used a more convincing vox patch at 1:51 and the end. But no huge deal. Anyway, go for the gold, bro.

RESUBMIT!