OCR01652 - *YES* Yoshi's Island 'In Pieces'

Liontamer

Remixer: Palpable

Game: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Song remixed: Castle BGM

So here's the thing: I started with this grand idea in my head of remixing the Underground BGM with a stiff beat. I was really excited about it until I went to the site and saw that McVaffe had already done an incredible remix of that song, not too far off what I was intending. So instead I chose another great song from the game that somehow hadn't been remixed yet, and made it fit the same 4/4 beat in my head (which gave it a nice twist, since it's originally in 3/4). I think my ambitions probably exceed my talent on this one, but I'm still mostly happy with the result.

Vinnie

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=yi - "Castle & Fortress" (yi-10.spc)

The arrangement was good, though I wish it relied less on that minimal yet repetitive groove from :55-3:20. Some more bells and whistles to fill out the soundfield would have been nice, but given the minimalist, it would have been killer to have the drum groove evolving more, even if the sparseness of it remained the same. The writing at the forefront of the arrangement helped carry things though, so I felt there was enough substance.

Meanwhile, on headphones, the volume gets pretty piercing with those lead synths, and the overall soundscape felt cluttered when the synth lead was in play, so I'd like to see some tweaking done there for a bit more clarity and a bit less ear-hurt. :-D

Excellent change in the dynamics at 3:21, keeping things pretty chill until the big break section at 4:05, with another good dynamic build at 3:54 leading up to it. I'd want the volume and production to be refined before I felt 100% comfortable with this going up for the long haul, but what's here is solid. Cool interpretation, Vinnie.

YES

• 2 months later...

Aight, let's see what we got here.

I thought the transition from 3/4 to 4/4 was pretty smooth. Definitely didn't feel any loss or *forced* adjustments to accomodate the different time signature. Well done. The drum groove was pretty cool, albeit a bit dry in the snare region. I would have loved to hear some nice FX thrown on it every now and again, but it's not an essential gripe. Pretty eerie vibe overall, created pretty well with such tactics as the modulated strings, lo-fi fx (places like 2:03), and subtly placed yet effective bleep and bloop embellishments. I wish the bass had played a slightly more active role, rather than the one-two with delay. But in light of the style and mood, I do not predict any loss of sleep in my future having any relation to this.

Definitely liked the DnBish breakdown at 3:30 till end. I had a harder time finding a direct translation from the source, but in light of the previous 3:00 or so following at a comfortable distance both to and from the source, I suppose I can grant you some slack in your rope to throw your own little bit in there. And it kept the song interesting, too.

All in all, there's good expansion and reinterpretation here of the original theme, a different time signature, and a pretty decent groove to bob your head to. I like it. In light of Larry's comments re: production, I'll say that I really have no qualms worth mentioning about this one in that area.

YES

Major props for pulling of a time sig adaptation. I live for that kind of stuff (see: blue skies over guardia). ;)

I like the sound design in this piece. It's got a cool electro groove, and that wild synth around 2:30ish is so spooky. The groove in this song is great, but the arrangement doesn't really rely on it; there's enough going on on top of that groove to really give the piece substance.

dnb stuff at the end was a nice way to keep things fresh in the end. Much appreciated.

YES

oh this is bad as hell

this is the third track i've done since gettin back in town and jesus, i'm blown away... and this just might be my favorite so far.

yoshi's island is a very underappreciated soundtrack. i had the pleasure of arranging the title song... this was one i wanted to tackle at some point but funny... i wanted it to sound somethin like this... then heard mcvaffe's and tucked my tail and ran... i see that you were not intimidated; good man and i think we're all glad for it.

the instrument choice is on point - you got a gnarly lead synth that sorta bounces throughout the track as it moves forward. the panning on the answer synth touches down very nicely in the track... its funky. the bass nips at your ankles and the drums bite at your knees. i was feelin this groove as soon as it hit - great work with the hats.

the arrangement is killer. it is constantly becoming fresh as it progresses and is entertaining throughout. you pulled the track away and out of its groove at the right point, built a nice suspense, built it up and slammed the listener into the cave floor with an amped rendition.

YES